Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display options do no work anymore

• Please log in to reply

rtroillet

rtroillet

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I have browsed this forum and others and have not find an answer to my problem.

When I right-click on the desktop, I got the proper Display Properties window.

All expected tabs are there (they never disappeared), everything can be changed (theme, wallpaper, screen saver, resolution, etc.) and no button is greyed.

Simply, changes never apply, either as click OK or Apply, and when I come back in the Display properties, all old values are back.

I already checked the registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current version\Policies and I got no active policy, no Active Desktop and so on...

I had no recent virus attacks and regularly run SpyBot Search & Destroy and Lavasoft Ad-aware.

What is strange is that I can select any image, right-click on it and select "Set as wallpaper", this works...

I do not know since when exactely this is the case, and what could have caused this. I know it worked a few weeks ago.

The only thing I can think of (apart from the games demo I installed recently :tazz: ), is that I had two screens, but had to give one. But the system stills thinks they are two. I upgraded my ATI Catalyst Control Center and drivers to the last version, but to no avail. I have an ATI Radeon X300 card.

Thank you for your help, it's driving me nuts.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried going into the cards settings and disabling that second monitor? (not really a clue if this will fix it....you'be got a perplexing issue here...though...thank you for posting all the info in a clear manner....it will make it ieasier for us to try and help)

rtroillet

rtroillet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I did that, and it was indeed already disabled, sorry. I wrongly thought it was not because there were still two monitors icons in ATI Catalyst Control center... :tazz:

rtroillet

rtroillet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I still cannot change any display option. Any news on this ?

Thank you.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Could be some missing system files.
Follow the steps below:
Start->Run. Type cmd. Press Enter.
In the Command-Prompt Window, type sfc /SCANONCE. Press Enter.
Follow the instructions by the System File Checker.
(Note:The scan will done on next reboot, so u will be prompted for a reboot.)

Edited by darth_ash, 01 September 2005 - 03:28 AM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Do you have any software on your computer that you may have changed settings to BEFORE this started happening?

Do you use software like X-setup?

rtroillet

rtroillet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
To dart_ash : I just did that, but it did not solved the problem... All files were clean and I still can't apply my changes in the Display options.

To Tony_1983 : No, I do not use any software like X_Setup, and the only thing I can think of is that I noticed it did not work anymore after installing a photo editor software called "Phototool", supplied by the retailer where I send my photo films to be developed.
I set one of my photo as background from this tool, and then I saw I could not change it back from the Display options. But as I told before, I can not be sure that it was not the case before that, because I did not try then. All I know is that once it worked nicely.

Thanks for any help you can give me :tazz:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Just for testing purpose and to see if it would work, have you uninstalled the software and then tried to change your back ground??

rtroillet

rtroillet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, it was the first thing I did :tazz:

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Start -> Run.
Type: regedit
Press <enter>

Goto:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
In the left-pane right-click on Desktop key(folder), and choose Permissions.
Check to see if your user-account has Full control enabled over that key.

Advertisements

rtroillet

rtroillet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, I have full control over the key. :tazz:

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Virus :tazz: click here

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Open regedit.
Goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
List all the variables and their values in your next post.

rtroillet

rtroillet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
RegKeys.jpg

Open regedit.
Goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
List all the variables and their values in your next post.

View Post

Here it is. Not much :tazz:

rtroillet

rtroillet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Virus :tazz: click here

View Post

I am protected with Symantec antivirus, McAffee firewall, and I already ran a scan at Trend Housecall when I fisrt came to browse the forum. My PC seems to be clean.