Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Small Business Server 2003

• Please log in to reply

bgc197

bgc197

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, my existing network has 3 pc runnin win 2000 with dos client; and a server runnin a dos dispatch/accounting operating system as a workgroup network. I bought a new dispatch/accounting application that requires Windows Server. How do i configure windows Small Business Server 2003 so i can continue to use my old dispatch system and add a xp workstation and a server running SBS 2003 and my new dispatch software. I would like to be able to migrate my customer data base from old to new over a period of time but keep my operation running.I understand my new server will be the domain server which i will setup with 2 nic cards, a DSL router with a static IP. How do i set up my LAN so all 5 pc share data from both servers?

Edited by bgc197, 25 August 2005 - 08:32 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
That kind of question is probably beyond the scope of this forum, mostly because it would require more detailed info on what you have....for one thing, are you certain that you even need a domain? You could run the server as a workgroup server if you choose.

What are the requirements of the dispatch and accounting packages? Is this some kind of client program with the server as a terminal server or is the data just stored there with a software package installed on the workstations?

Why do you want the multihomed business server? So you can access the server remotely, perhaps?

There are lots of combinations/possibilities, but the ultimate decision is based on more info than you've provided

bgc197

bgc197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank You for our response. The new dispatch software requires Server 2003. I did not know i could set up SBS 2003 as a workgroup. I thought it had to be set up as a domain. Yes if it is possible i would like to log in to the net work from home. No I am not certain that i need a domain. The salesman for the new dispatch system said i needed windows server software. When i installed SBS 2003 I did not see any other options than following the wizard which sets up a domain. How do I set it up as a workgroup.