Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Piracy and Networks

• Please log in to reply

Luckey

Luckey

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Me and a friend tried to network two computers together. Mine was WinXP Home. With most of the newer updates. Her's was WinXp Pro but it was a pirated copy. We networked our comps together and had some problems. On her computer it saw the network fine and she could access and get things off my machine. But on mine it said we had little to no connectivity. I could see her comp but when I tried to access it it said Access denied basically. I tried tests of the network on my computer and I could see and had a connection its just I didn't have access. I looked at all the settings of firewalls and looked for anything abnormal and found nothing.

I was wondering if since her copy of XP is pirated that that might impeed on the network connection. Or if you guys have any other ideas please share. Thanks!

Advertisements

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
no should have nothing to do with the pirated version everything to do with user sharing try making an account on her computer (as and administrator) with the same name and password as the account on your computer and you will probly see a differance
thats probly the esiest way to fix the problem although may not be the best

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
is her Windows firewall turned off??

BoomShake007

BoomShake007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
sounds like a firewall issue to me. I set up a home network a few days ago, and got that very same error, and it turned out Norton Internet Security wasn't configured properly to allow the access for my internal IP range.