Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU making weird noises

• Please log in to reply

mattlanta

mattlanta

• Pip
  • 8 posts
It's started when I was logging off then the computer all of a sudden shut down. It said "Windows has shut down because a problem has been detected on your computer and to prevent damage, Windows will shut down" or something like that.

Now, it makes weird noises like rRrRrR. (Foreign "r" noise)

-Matt

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It's most probably your hard disk that is having troubles. Open the side cover of the computer and you will be able to pinpoint the source of the noise. Check carefully if cpu fan is rotating freely, at full speed.

mattlanta

mattlanta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll check on it later if I can. If I wanted, would it hurt my computer if I took out the CPU fan?

Thanks again.

-Matt

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can't leave the cpu without fan. If it is faulty (stuck or revving slowly) it must be replaced. You can repair a fan by dismantling it, remove the sticker that covers the bearing, oil with WD40 or another cleaning/oiling agent, rotate it nanually until free and cover again with a sticker to avoid dust from coming in. If the fan is in really bad shape, however, it will start giving problems again. Whenever possible I prefer a new fan.

mattlanta

mattlanta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks. I'm too scared to open my PC alone. :tazz:
Do you think reformatting it will help it at all?

Thanks again.

-Matt

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Reformatting will not help. You have, most probably, a hardware problem. I appreciate your honesty in admitting of being worried about openning the computer by yourself. I really think that your best bet is to take the computer to a decent lab.