I usually give a list of things for people to do to prevent infections. I will give you the entire list.
I would recommend the following steps to keep your PC clean – PREVENTIVE MEASURES FOR FUTUREOperating System
1. Keep the Windows and Internet Explorer updated with the latest fixes. These fixes are available free from Microsoft. Click on Tools in the IE menu bar and then on Windows update. You can also use the following links Windows security and critical updates Internet Explorer security and critical updates
Also ensure that automatic updates are enabled for faster updation of the system.
(Right click on My Computer on your desktop, properties and Automatic Updates tab. Anti-Virus Software
2. Keep your Anti-virus program updated with the latest definitions. Some of the common anti-virus programs in use are :
McAfee Anti-VirusAVG Anti-Virus
--- freewareAvast Home Edition
Use only one anti-virus program as multiple such programs can create conflicts between themselves and severely hamper the performance of your PC. Firewall
3. You should also have a good firewall. Here are 3 free ones available for personal use:Sygate Personal Firewall
, Kerio Personal Firewall
, ZoneAlarmInternet Browsers
4. Have robust explorer settings. It is preferable to use an internet browser other that IE as most of the malware is targetted at IE. In case you prefer to use IE, then download a list of innocent looking but harmful websites from IE-Spyad
and install it on ur PC. IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your internet explorer's restricted zone, so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't really innocent at all.
Some alternate browsers I suggest are Firefox Mozilla Browser
Ensure that Security level, irrespective of whichever browser you use, is set at Medium or higher, restrict the usage of cookies and activeX components. Spyware Protection
5. Have a wall of protection against spyware / adware by installing SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.
SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs. SpywareBlaster
will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources. SpywareGuard
offers realtime protection from spyware installation and browser hijack attempts. Both have free ongoing updates.Spyware Removers
6. Install programs for scanning for malware and uninstalling them. Two of the best programs, both are freeware, are :Spybot Search & Destroy
- A powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.AdAware SE Personal Edition
- Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.Regular Maintenance of PC
7. Finally, invest some time for regular maintenance of your PC. Delete the temporary Internet files, temporary files, cookies etc. Click on Start button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and run the program Disk Cleanup. Follow the instructions.
An alternate freeware software which can be used is CleanUp
Keep your Registry clean. My favourite software is Registry First Aid
. This is not a freeware but a trial version can be downloaded.
Go ahead and enjoy a clean PC !!!!!!!!!!!!!