Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Programs interfering with Final Fantasy XI?

• Please log in to reply

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
:tazz:

Hello all:)

I have been working on this for 3 weeks now and my techies don't know what the problem is.

When playing FFXI, my computer will freeze up (no error message, just lock up). I have to manually reboot my computer for it to start working again.

I have updated all my drivers, tried installing: new hard drive, memory, graphics card, motherboard, and PSU. I know it's not a virus because it was doing it before and after I installed a new hard drive :)

I'm wondering if any of the programs I have installed on my PC could be interfering with the game. Has anyone heard of anything like that?

Here's what's on my PC:

Sonic RecordNow!
Norton Internet Security 2005
FFXI Mod Viewer
FFXI Windower 3.2.1
Office XP
Photoshop 7.0
iMesh

And Drivers for my specs below.

I think that's it. If I think of any more I'll let you all know.

:)

Advertisements

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
:tazz: Since taking it to two different tech companies and they had no luck, I have discovered the problem myself. If you are running FFXI on Windows XP, be sure to ONLY download the high-priority updates when updating your OS. If you have Windows set up to automatically update, you should be fine as it only updates the high priority updates.

I had updated my Windows XP with all updates available on the website, but do NOT install the optional priority updates. There is an update in there that interferes with FFXI. I can't tell you the exact update, but I'd just thought I'd let you know:)

I went from my computer freezing almost every 30mins-3hours to being able to play my game for hours on end:)