Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Getting started with Quake etc

• Please log in to reply

Straylight

Straylight

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello there!
I've recently bought a new computer and I was told it was an acceptable set up. I know virtually NOTHING about them but i'm interested in buying a few games before I go off to uni. My set up is as follows:

AMD ATHLON 64 bit processor (3.4 ghz apparently??)
1 gig of RAM
120 gig harddrive
and apparently 256 Bit 3D/2D Graphics.. (but i dont know what that means at all).

What would I need to buy if I wished to run Doom 3 for example? Any suggestions? Anything is welcome... thank you in advance. (If i've missed anything out please ask and i'll try to find out.)

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Well Doom 3 will run on your speed and memory but i need to know your make of card like Nvidia Or ATI follow this

go to DESKTOP > RIGHT CLICK > PROPERTIES > SETTINGS then look under display then it should say it there :tazz:

Straylight

Straylight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for your quick reply... does S3G UniChrome Pro IGP mean anything to you? lol, I think thats my graphics card...

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
hmmm just try the demo of doom 3 first and make sure you have the latest drivers for it ok i will get more info on it

Straylight

Straylight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you, I'll let you know how it goes.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
i can give you a direct download to the game

http://www.mofunzone...es/doom_3.shtml

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
What MB is your card 16MB , 32MB , 64MB , 128MB , 256MB if you dont know could you do this

START > RUN > DXDIAG then go to Display and tell me from there

And Do you have MSN MESSENGER

Straylight

Straylight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Im afraid i dont have messenger... the card is 64 mb, this is exactly what it says

it's a VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP

DAC type : internal
Approx totally memory : 64 mb

Hope this is of use... thanking you for your time and patience.