Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think my RAM is Dead T_T

• Please log in to reply

Navillus

Navillus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was having problems with my Pc restarting itself normaly followed by the Bluescreen (just suddenly started doing it for no apparent reason O.o)

i got:

160GB HD
1GB RAM (think its kinda dead)
Nvidia Geforce 6600.
300W Psu

i run Memtest86 earlier for 4 hours it came up with 5000+ errors. but is Memtest86 really that reliable or should i be looking at something else wrong?

Thanks for taking time to read. :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yes, memtest IS usually that reliable.
If you have more than one stick of ram in the system though, I suggest you test them individually (make sure the stick being tested is in slot 1 & remove the others).
If memtest reports errors on only one module, then replace that module. If you get errors on every module, then retest them individually but use the second memory socket instead of the first.

Navillus

Navillus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Right, thanks.

I Will set up Memtest on One of the RAM sticks overnight then during the day tomorrow ill do the other one, the strange thing is this only started happening after i bought a new MOBO and Processor.

Oh by the way would installing a new mobo / processor effect my RAM in anyway(unless it was manhandled) and does the manufactorer make a difference (as it says in my Mobo manual that i should only use the manufactorers that they have tested)

Edited by Navillus, 25 August 2005 - 05:41 PM.

Navillus

Navillus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
/Bump

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Thats very hard to answer with out knowing your full system specs so please list them, I am sure Samm needs to know them to help you.

Rick

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Hi,

Thats very hard to answer with out knowing your full system specs so please list them, I am sure Samm needs to know them to help you.

Rick

View Post

It would help, yeah. Cheers Doby!