Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Every game crashes!

• Please log in to reply

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Yes it could be.

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Is there any way I can find out if it is?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I've asked some of the hw people to get involved, give them a bit to answer

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sporadic memory errors are usually an indication of bad RAM....I am unclear if you have tried playing the game with 1 stick of ram?

512 is plenty to play a game and run XP.

The fact that a RAM tester showed an error once and then did not later does not mean the memory fixed itself. Indeed, the fact that memory does not error out does not mean it is good.

What memory tester did you use?

Remove one stick, play the game. Does it error? If so, insert other stick, removing the one that was still there. Does it error?

Are there any programs running in the background/at start up. Disable them

Have you been checked for malware

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You should be running memtest for a while on both sticks preferably overnight so it gets a thourogh testing. Also run a hard drive diagnostic i got errors like that occosianlay when i had a HDD go bad the data being sent to the memory was corrupted and the software that detected the problem often said it was a memory problem when it was in fact the HD that had gone. The diagnostic software can be obtained from the drive manufacturer.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Yes i've tried playing with one stick.
I used memtest86 to test the memory.

I ran seatools for my HD and it said 'The file system contains errors that need to be repaired'

I couldn't run a drive test, it says 'SMART self-test is not supported for this drive. This may be due to a limitation in the Windows driver for the controller that the drive is attached to or the drive may not support the SMART self-test. In either case, this is not a failure of the drive.'

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I've noticed that when Half-Life 2 crashes it gives the same error code everytime.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont know the hard drive is bad a corrupt file system is the first sign of a bad hard drive and considering you kust said seatools said something was wrong with your file system then its worth eliminating as a problem.
SMART is a system used to detect impending drive failure it used to be reserved for more expensive hard drives for corporate use but its finding its way into drives used by home users.

And considering your RAM is coming up fine in the tests you need to start thinking about other things, software can often find it difficult to diagnose hardware problems accurately unless it is specifically designed to do that.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I only just replaced my HardDrive >:tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Then it is probably more likely it was a defective drive its a fairly common thing for hard drives there is a significant portion of duffers in every batch. I would try another drive if you can that you know is good that way you eliminate the new drive as a problem.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
But would a bad HD be causing the memory could not be read errors?

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Click Start>Accesories>System Tools>Scan Disk and scan C: for errors. It may require a reboot, and will scan without entering windows. It takes about 3 hours but It may help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes it can, especially when you are using non specific software to diagnose problems. Basically dont rely on a game to diagnose your hardware problems, the game is responding to it receiving corrupt data and it is saying that it is memory but it can also be casued by the HDD. So you need to check the individual peices of hardware and if neccesary replace them to eliminate tham as a problem.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I don't have scan disk in my system tools