Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freeze @ startups

• Please log in to reply

Flipper

Flipper

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I power up my laptop the windows logo shows and the status bar rolls back and forth as if booting correctly - then the colors in the status bar stop and system stops loading. Stays on the Windows logo. I have to power off then back on and get the options page where I choose '...last known good config...' and then will start up and run. This does not happen every time at startup - but about 70% of the time. I'm suspecting a conflict at bootup. Any ideas how I can figure out which program is causing the conflict? ..and how to fix it? Seems this started about the time I began using a wireless pcmcia card...

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Flipper

If these problems started happening when you started running with a PCMCIA wireless card, I would try to boot the cp without the card installed, if it is booting alright it probably would be an issue with the drivers for the card.

Second, and I have seen this at work, when booting with the wireless adapters activated, it seems to take forever for the laptops to boot up and get to the logon screen. (Up to and over 5 min sometimes) Seems that it does not pick up the wireless access points right away or keeps scanning to see how many are available. blink.gif

If you can get it to boot correctly, go into the network connections, disable the wireless card, reboot and see if it is making any difference. I do suspect that it might be your drivers. Hope this helps.