Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SUPER URGENT!

• Please log in to reply

alirae21

alirae21

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I urgently need assistance with this issue because this is my server at work.

Computer is less than a month old & came installed w/Media Center Edition XPSP2. Rebooted today & the system was constantly restarting as soon as it got to the desktop.
Went in and changed settings so that it would not restart on error and now on I receive the bluescreen w/ error:
STOP: 0xC000005, 0x0000011c, 0x9869c7c, 0x9869978 :tazz:

The only Windows CD I have is from Home Edition and I can get in to safe mode or to a command prompt if needed.

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Do you have the Windows setup disk that came with your system? if so, go in and use the recovery console and at the command prompt enter each of the following:

chkdsk
fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg

* Of course you hit 'Enter' after you type each of the following :tazz: *

The previous items will check your hard drive for errors and will rewrite the information that windows uses when booting. If that still doesn't work, there are a multiple of other reasons why you are getting that specific BSOD. A couple of the possibilities is that your power supply is dying, your memory is bad (maybe not bad but just dirty, if you know what you are doing, open your case, if it doesn't void the warranty, take out the memory sticks and blow into the slots that the memory goes into).

*Edited for typos and for clarity*

Edited by Jarenien, 23 August 2005 - 08:44 PM.

alirae21

alirae21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The system did not come with a Windows setup disk. "The only Windows CD I have is from Home Edition...." The reason I specified this is that I do not know if I can use a different version than what is installed on the computer.

If I can use this please let me know & I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Normally, I would say that you can, but I am unsure about the MediaCenter edition.

I can think of no reason why it will not work....

or, download this

http://www.tweakxp.c...ticle36941.aspx

and burn the image to a cd, and use that...it is a self-contained recovery console.

alirae21

alirae21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'll give it a shot & post results.

alirae21

alirae21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ran it and it was able to recover many errors but I am still having the same prob. Any other suggestions?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so we're clear, what did you run?

Define "it"

alirae21

alirae21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
"It" is Registry Fix, the program I downloaded from your link. Is there something else I should be looking for?

alirae21

alirae21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I really need to get this fixed ASAP. Payroll is supposed to go out tomorrow & this is causing a lot of difficulties. Is there a standalone recovery console you can send me? :tazz:

alirae21

alirae21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
:tazz: I posted this originally on the 23rd but really need help still so I have started a new post:

I urgently need assistance with this issue because this is my server at work.

Computer is less than a month old & came installed w/Media Center Edition XPSP2. Rebooted today & the system was constantly restarting as soon as it got to the desktop.
Went in and changed settings so that it would not restart on error and now on I receive the bluescreen w/ error:
STOP: 0xC000005, 0x0000011c, 0x9869c7c, 0x9869978

The only Windows CD I have is from Home Edition and I can get in to safe mode or to a command prompt if needed.

I contacted Gateway support since it is their system & was told to just do a "destructive recovery". Is there any way to fix this without reformatting my hard drive?

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
You said you have an xp home cd. You can try fixing your windows installation.

1.) On the "Windows XP Home" menu, select "R" for repair
2.) as Repair option, select "R" to use the "Recovery Console"
3.) You will be prompted to select the Windows installation to repair (usually just "1" ) Admin password is usually blank so just hit enter
4.) at the command prompt type each of the follow seperately followed by hitting the 'enter' key
  • fixmbr (hit 'Y' and enter at any prompts)
  • fixboot (hit 'Y' and enter at any prompts)
  • bootcfg /rebuild
After that, take out the XP Home CD and reboot your computer and hopefully that fixes the problem. If it still keeps rebooting, then it could be your power supply is going bad, in which case that's an easy fix and you wont lose all your data. A local computer repair store by you will have the equipment to test your power supply and see if it is going bad or not.

Edited by Jarenien, 25 August 2005 - 09:49 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I merged your new thread with your previous one as it is a continuation of the same problem..

Please do NOT double post or start a new thread that should be continued in the original post!!

Murray

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
okay i thought i was going crazy when i reloaded the Windows XP / 2000 / 2003 forum and i saw 11 replies when i had just made the first reply to it lol

alirae21

alirae21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm pretty sure it's not the power supply since the system will stay on all day in safe mode but reboots or errors any other time and I wasn't sure if I could use Recovery Console from a different version.

I'll go through recovery console to attempt a repair first thing in the AM and post my results.

Thanks for such a quick reply Jarenien! :tazz:

alirae21

alirae21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry Murray. No response all day on the previous post was leaving me a bit frazzled. Thanks for merging though so viewers have complete info...