Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup problem

• Please log in to reply

kevibak

kevibak

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. This morning, when I try to turn my Dell computer on using the power switch on the front, the CD drive light flashes, a beeping noise like when a key is stuck starts sounding, and about 10-15 seconds later the computer will turn on? Any ideas?

Thanks.

kevibak

Advertisements

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
power supply PSU may be failing

kevibak

kevibak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Is that an easy fix? I have never replaced one. I use a Dell Dimension desktop. Should I take it in for repair?

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
it's fairley easy not very expensive it involves unpluging some wiers very distinct wieres unsrewing bout 4 srews and replacing
the PSU is the hydro box looking thing where you plug you power cord into have a look at it

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you start your computer (pressing the switch at the front) you only start a process of switching. In actuality the power supply unit gets current from the motherboard and is switched on. Your problem seems to be either the psu or the motherboard. What you have to do is replace the suspected psu with another unit. If the computer works well afterwards then fine. If it doesn't, you have to check the motherboard. The problem is that you may buy a new psu just to find out that it didn't help and you can't return it to the shop. That's an economics consideration. I think you would be better off taking the computer to a decent technician.

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
well their that but any bigger stores that carry power supplies will give you at least a week and will give you a refund if you bring a product back with a recept
I would also try switching the power supply first:
1. easy to do as long as your not intimidated with messing around inside the computer.
2. cheaper part to begin with
3. esier than switching a motherboard
4. PSU's are generick versus switching a mobo witch if you don't whant to reinstall windows you would need to get the same mobo or at least one with the same chipset

if the new PSU does not work I would defenetley conseder the motherboard to be the culporate and would sujest you bring it to a certified technitian to look at and do the work although may cost you a fair dollar amount