Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prefetch?

• Please log in to reply

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Is it safe to delete them?
Regards RockyIV

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Yes, you should delete the contents of the prefetch folder (not the folder itself but the files inside it) after around a 10days or so, as it contains old information and slows the loading of appz.instead of its purpose of making app. loading faser.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Thanks!

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
when you delete the prefetch folder Restart then Run Disk Cleanup Then Disk Defragmenter

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Why? Do you have to do that?
Regards RockyIV

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Because Its best to i got told by a Staff Member on Geekstogo KEITH told me :tazz:

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Oh ok no-doubt what-so-ever!!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Is there any thing wrong with deleting the layout.ini file file in this folder? I did with out meaning to when I was cleaning it out like I do every week.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
The layout.ini file can also be deleted without a problem. *.ini files are ‘information files’ that are used by Windows to make configurations. Layout.ini contains prefetch information for XP's disk defragmentation system (defrag). Information in this file is used by the defragmenter to move programs and files on your workstation's hard drive to a more favorable location, speeding up direct read times.

Sometimes the layout.ini contains lots of old info. about uninstalled programs and must be deleted so that a new fresh copy can take its place. The fresh copy should be created after a few reboots, automatically.
The small downside of deleting it is that the next few boots(till it is re-created) will be little slow.
But this can easily overcome by the following command:
Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks.
After this command the layout.ini is re-created automatically.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Thanks for that.

I thought that I had done something wrong becasue if the slower booting time. I tweak my computer as much as I can, so it is easy to notice anything. Also I wanted it back so I could do a tweak that relayed on info form this file.

I made a bat file out of the command so it is realy easy to rememeber.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 26 August 2005 - 04:59 AM.

Advertisements

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
So simply cleaning out Prefetch has no down-fall towards your system other that that .ini. filey
Thanks for the hep guys!
Regards RockyIV

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't think that any file that is suposed to make things load faster work. Delete the every thing for the prefetch folder (with the exception of the layout.ini) it the computer works faster. Delete the file that FireFox makes so it can load faster and what to you know it loads in half the time!

Edited by Michael Buckley, 26 August 2005 - 09:16 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something else you can delete on a regular basis is the java temp files in your account. Just the files again, not the folders. These hold downloaded .jar and class files and are often where trojans are found. On my XP machine I keep the folder shortcuts in desktop making it very easy to do.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Thanks!

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
As i said in Post#9, the layout.ini sometimes also conatins info. abou programs that are un-installed and these simply take extra place in the layout.ini file.
So even the layout.ini file has to be cleared after sometime.
And to aviod the slow boots till it is re-created, you can use the commnad in Post#9 to immediately re-create it.