Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help on some Windows Xp problem.

• Please log in to reply

aabeesee

aabeesee

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was having problems with my desktop computer a while ago therefore i reformatted my hard disk. After installing Windows XP in an unpartitioned space, it could load properly and bring me to desktop. However it was the "classic" desktop. No windows XP start menu, wallpaper was a dull blue and i still had many problems with it.

When Windows XP was installing, (during the screen where they boasts about new features and installing at the same time) I noticed towards the end they could not install some files and prompted me to insert the Windows XP Service Pack 2 disc when it was already there. However it did have an option for me to install files from F:\i386 (F: being my optical drive) I tried that option but to no avail. It kept prompting, had no choice but to cancel. Installation went on fine. But as mentioned in the first paragraph i had the old styled windows. Checked my e:\ (the unpartitioned space i installed to) and found out under program files, all the folders were there but every folder was empty. Some examples include Windows Media Player, xerox folder etc. :tazz:

I tried reformatting and installing a second time but same problem. Any idea on what went wrong and how to make it work like magic again?

Another question, i tried disabling Quick Booting in my BIOS. But at the memory testing screen, it recognizes 1048+++ of RAM. but at the end it said memory test failed. Any idea why? It will still be able to load windows when i press "continue" or if i enable Quick Booting. :)

Also, I noticed that my com takes very long to get past the blue "Windows is loading screen..." Any answers to this? :) This didnt happen the previous time when my com was working fine.

Thanks in advance for your time and help. :)

UPDATE:

Tried repairing Windows using the enter setup then repair method. Initial copying of files went fine. PC rebooted as per normal.

When it rebooted it went into the blue screen where they are installing Windows again. It went alright until it was copying files. And there was this error msg:

Setup cannot copy the file <filename>.

Ensure that the disk labeled "Windows XP Home Edition CD" is in the drive selected below, or provide the location where the file can be found.

Can be found:
F:\i386

Options available were Retry(tried but constant prompting), Cancel (Only possible option) and Browse beside "Copy files from:"(Tried this too and saw the file required. Clicked on it and pressed retry but constant prompting.)

Some examples of <filename>:
msi.mf
ntert.mf
system.mo
termsrv.dl

The list goes on and on, at least 30 more.

But there were 2 files that needs special attention:
comsnap.dl
stclient.dl

After the confirmation msg asking you whether you are sure you want to cancel the file, this error msg came:

If you cancel copying this file Windows might not work properly. Are you sure you wan to cancel this file?

Had to choose Yes.

After that it continued installing and after a while it rebooted when installation was complete. It went on till the windows Loading screen after which it rebooted suddenly.

The screen with options Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration and Start Windows Normally came. Tried all options and the options Last Known GOod Configuration and Start Windows Normally will reboot after loading screen. Choosing Safe Mode will hang at the "Windows is starting up..." screen.

Really Really need help. I'm going mad. Thanks in advance.

I thought you might need my com specs:

AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice

MSI K8N Neo 4-F

Leadtek PX6600GT 128 MB PCI-E

TwinMos CL2.5 2X512MB

Seagate 160GB SATA

BenQ DW1640 16x DVD+-RW

Antec TruePower 480W Ver 2.0

Altec Lansing ATP3 + Audigy 2ZS

Edited by aabeesee, 26 August 2005 - 06:15 AM.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Seems that your WinXP Setup CD is damaged.
You will have to get a replacement copy from Microsoft.

aabeesee

aabeesee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
How do i do just that? Any fees i need to pay? Btw I'm from Singapore. How about the memory test fail issue?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.microsoft...untry=Singapore

Microsoft will replace a faulty product at no cost

aabeesee

aabeesee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks. How bout the memory test fail issue? Issit normal or what?

UPDATE: It's a Saturday right here now so i will have to wait till monday before the support and service centre is open. Will try calling in again when it opens on Monday.

Meanwhile please provide me with somemore solutions esp for the memory fail test issue.

and is my XP cd definitely spoilt? Dun wanna waste my time getting a replacement but the errors are there even after replacement.

Edited by aabeesee, 27 August 2005 - 01:11 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the set of boot discs which apply to the XP CD you have

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

Try installing with these

Are you clearing the hard drive or a partition

aabeesee

aabeesee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I cleared all the partitions in my hard drive. So what bout the memory test failed msg? Are my RAMS failing? When it memory tests, its still able to detect 1048++++ of ram. So what is the problem here?

I do not understand the lnk you gave me. How does it help me and how do i use it? Would appreciate it if you guide me. :tazz:

Edited by aabeesee, 27 August 2005 - 09:55 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's likely the XP CD needs replacing, however, you did not want to wait for that without trying a few other things, so the link is for XP) set up disc, you would use these to start the set up, hopefully, they will load sufficient files to take the procedure beyond the point where the XP CD hit problems

Try to install with the set up discs, you may not get mem test errors

aabeesee

aabeesee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I called Microsoft already. I will need to pay a fee to replace it. So do i need to try doing the setup discs? And issit necessary to try that?

Will the replacement deifinitely solve my problems? And to be honest, I still dun understand what the setup discs do. :tazz: Am i supposed to burn them into cds?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To create these disks, you need to provide 6 blank, formatted, high-density disks.

The Setup boot disks are available so that you can run the Setup program on computers that cannot use a bootable CD-ROM.

After you create all six disks, insert the first disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart the computer. The computer must be configured to boot from the floppy disk drive.

Make sure you get the correct set

These may load enough files to allow the XP CD you have, to complete the installation

aabeesee

aabeesee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Unfortunately, I do not have a floppy disk drive :tazz: So any other way to get round this?

aabeesee

aabeesee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I managed to find out the problem. It was due to a faulty module of RAM. Gotta RMA soon. It turns out my WinXP CD didnt have any problems. Admin pls close this thread. Thanks for all your help :tazz: