Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

48 bit LBA help please

• Please log in to reply

graham99

graham99

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz:

Hi Ive just added a second hard drive to my system (samsung 160GB) and I've managed to get it going but Windows only shows it as 127GB.

I've done some reading and know its to do with 48 bit logical block support but I'm not clear on exactly how to solve the problem.

My BIOS shows the full 160GB.

I already had Win 2000 pro with service pack 4 installed. Did I somehow miss part of the download of SP3 or 4 that would have solved this?

Do I need to "just" make a change to the registry? If so that is pushing the envelope of my knowledge, can anyone talk me through it, very very slowly please.

Thanks in anticipation.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Refer the following M$-KB article:
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;305098

graham99

graham99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Many thanks darth ash for your time.

I have already read this article and got as far as the last stage of changing the registry then I wimped out coz the prompts don't match the article and, as I said registry editing is scary stuff for me.

So, when the DWORD editor pops up, what "data" do I enter? Numbers only are possible, not 0x1. What is the "Radix", Binary, decimal or hex?

Thanks in anticipation.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Radix is which of the following number systems is followed by the given no.
Binary (Radix:2) is the number system with only two basic numbers: 0,1.
Decimal (Radix:10) is what we use in everyday life: 0,1...9
Hexadecimal (Radix:16)(or Hex) has 16 basic numbers: 0,1....9,A,B,D,E,F.
Any number with "0x" before it is in hex, 0x is just for telling that its in hex.
So, the 0x should'nt be written, but you should change the input type to Hexadecimal and type the remaing number.

e.g: When you want to create a DWORD with value 0x123.
Create the new DWORD, double-click on it and choose hexadecimal.
And type the number without the "0x".

If there is no "0x", choose decimal and type the number.

In our case, it does'nt make a difference, because of the fact that 0x1 (hex) is equal to 1 (in decimal). So just type 1 as the value.

Edited by darth_ash, 26 August 2005 - 03:03 PM.

graham99

graham99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks darth ash!

This seems to have cured the problem. Can you clear up just one minor point tho please.....?

When using explorer it now shows as a single drive (D:) with the full capacity and in "Disk management" this now shows the new disk as disk 1, local disk drive "D:" but it is still in 2 sections graphically (128 Gb and 21 Gb) both labelled as (D:). How come? Should I worry? Can it be resolved?

I tried to find something on microsoft support on this but with out any joy.

Thanks in anticipation.