Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alacatel Speedtouch USB Modem

• Please log in to reply

apmercer

apmercer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've had this problem dialing out with this usb modem from my PC for awhile now. (I'm using my laptop and it works fine on that).

I have installed and re-installed the Alcatel Speedtouch software but its not sorted it.

Basically the password and username boxes are completely blank despite entering the info numerous times... and the modem tries to dial out before I can enter the details. But regardless of this when I look at the Status Window nothing appears to have happened. i.e. it hasn't tried to dial out.

I've tried my ISP and they just say its an "application error" end of subject. I don't know what they mean.

The problem seemed to start but I'm not certain about this after I tried to clean up the machine using System Mechanic, Spy Bot, etc, if I was pushed I suspect System Mechanic altered something in the registry but I don't know enough to be sure or to resolve it. I've tried a few forums and had the machine into my local repair people but it still isn't sorted.

So I'm turning to you.. clear English please I'm not used to Geekspeak.
I have a ZoneAlarm firewall installed and have been told "its possible.. something nasty is interfering with the firewall and preventing me dialling out"

Advertisements

apmercer

apmercer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh yes the repairs people did a complete re-install on Windows 98.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Ampercer

When you mentioned that you uninstalled and reinstalled the software for the modem, was that before or after the tech guys reinstalled the operating system. I would try to uninstall the modem software again and reinstall it once more.

After that, go Start - Control Panel - Network Connections (or is is Phone and Modem Options, sorry, confused1.gif trying to remember 98) and see if your modem is showing as a connection.

If you double click Internet Explorer, (or whatever browser you are using) does the dial up connection pop up asking you to connect? Even if you get the "Page Cannot be Displayed" error, go into Tools - Internet Options - Connections Tab - try running the Internet connection wizard by pressing the setup button and following the steps.

If you want to see if your Firewall is blocking the dialup connection, you should see a small icon on the lower right hand side of the screen for the firewall, you should be able to right click on that and when the popup menu shows, select disable and try again to see if you connect.

I've tried my ISP and they just say its an "application error" end of subject. I don't know what they mean.

When a tech says this, it means that they are not sure what is causing your problems and don't really want to take the time and try to work the issues out with you. It's always someone else's software and not their problem, because it is not their software or hardware. whistling.gif Hope this helps.

apmercer

apmercer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply.. ok further info for you.

> When you mentioned that you uninstalled and reinstalled the software for the
> modem, was that before or after the tech guys reinstalled the operating system. > I would try to uninstall the modem software again and reinstall it once more.

Tried this and downloaded lastest drivers and tried installing them.
I've not re-installed them since getting your reply. Not sure if I am better using the CD or the latest downloaded driver ?

> After that, go Start - Control Panel - Network Connections (or is is Phone and
> Modem Options, sorry, confused1.gif trying to remember 98) and see if your
> modem is showing as a connection.

Yes.. Alcatel Speedtouch Modem is showing as the default in Internet Options under connections ? No other modem listed here

> If you double click Internet Explorer, the dial up connection pop up asking you > to connect?

Nope..

> try running the Internet connection wizard by
> pressing the setup button and following the steps.

Ok.. I selected "transfer existing account to this PC" and it then prompted me to select a modem. but the USB Modem isn't listed. just a ESS ES56-Pl Data Fax Modem #2 and same without the #2. Didn't go any further

Also tried going through the Control Panel and Modems but no Alcatel listed just the pesky ESS

Also there isn't any modem USB or ESS listed in the device manager. Under System Devices - Alcatel Class Registry Bus is listed.

Thanks for your help..so far. The repair people recommended ditching the USB modem and buying a router.. but I would like to get it going at least for now until I work out the costs and ramifications for connecting laptops etc. But also if there is some nasty on the PC I feel it wise to find it and get rid of it.

Another suggestion I have heard is that there might be a conflict between modem and ?. Any thoughts on this.. and how I might check this. I have a SIS motherboard !

Disabled Norton Internet Security but still couldn't dial out.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Ampmercer

K, sorry about the late delay, but, when you reinstalled the software for the DSL modem, do you have a icon on your desktop that you use to connect to your DSL provider, have the box popup with your user name and password, click connect, does some stuff, shows that it is connected, then open Internet Explorer to connect to the internet??

Follow this link, I would like to know if this looks like your modem or not. http://www.speedtouc.../prod350360.htm

If this is your modem, you will only be able to have it connected to one pc, say your desktop, and you need to use a router or a hub to connect your laptop to the desktop pc, setup internet connection sharing on the desktop to allow your laptop to use the same connection.

Your DSL modem is probably showing up in Network connections and will not show up in the Modem connections.

apmercer

apmercer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

When you reinstalled the software for the DSL <BIG snip> connect to the internet??

Yes thats how it works.. but in my case the connection appears to happen. Its a map of the globe which changes colour at logon and then disappears when connection is made.. in my case the globe changes colour but nothing else happens. All this takes place when I open the desktop icon and without the userrname or password being entered OR my clicking on the CONNECT button AND when you check the Status Window no dial out or password authentication process has actually taken place even though the DISCONNECT button is now visible.

Follow this link, I would like to know if this looks like your modem or not. http://www.speedtouc.../prod350360.htm 

Sorry I should have said its the 330..
http://www.speedtouc...com/prod330.htm

I have no network between PC and the Laptop. I am simply unplugging the modem and then connecting via the laptop..and can also connect using the an older laptop I have. But not the PC.. :tazz:

Thanks for your help so far. Does this help ?

fab4

fab4

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
hey apmercer,

I have Windows Me and the 'SpeedTouch USB ADSL'.
2 weeks ago I formatted my C: and reinstalled Me.
And I had some problems with the ADSL also. After a long surche I foundout that when you install ME with the custom settings. The ADSL didn't worked.
Perhaps this may be your problem also.

This is what I've done:
go to software in the windows configuration section > windows setup > comunication > and make sure "inbelnetwerk" and " inbelserver" are installed.
(sorry my windows is in dutch, and I don't know how to translate it)

It worked for me. :tazz: