Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Busy internet connection on XP/ADSL

• Please log in to reply

pomarni

pomarni

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Suddenly my internet connection is busy all the time! The ADSL modem "status" window shows megabytes of infomation is coming in and magabytes flowing out. Trendmicro did not detect any viruses or spyware, although much earlier a BKDR virus was found and deleted by the program. I have firewalled the ADSL modem connection and temporarily disconnected Autlomatic Updating of Windows files. I have most of SP1 security but not SP2. A year ago, Norton used to report that email was being scanned and sent but "they" seem now to have got past that. It looks like my computer is being managed by aliens! Help!

What is happening and how do I get rid of this problem. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You can be staring at your desktop, doing nothing, and still expect internet activity. It is very important to have a good firewall enabled and updated whenever the computer is online. Is it possible that your Norton subscription is out and that's why it quit scanning email? You can see the list of applications and processes that are running by right clicking in the taskbar area and choosing "Task Manager". You can edit the programs loading when you turn the computer on by typing "msconfig", sans quotes, in the Run box. Hope this helps.

Johanna

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi POM. :)

I use to get a busy signal OFTEN because my dial up just had
too many people using it at the same time.

Are you on dial up?
If so, is there an alternate phone number you could use?

The second time I had that problem, it ended up being a faulty modem.
(Lightning had come through my phone line)

I had it replaced at the computer shop for 53.00.
It works great now.

Just a couple thoughts.....
Sincerely, Janie :)
P.S. I just re-read your post and I am not sure what ADSL means
but I think it means you are NOT on dial up! :tazz:

Edited by fflowergirl, 27 August 2005 - 10:40 AM.