Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whining Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

jkpj13

jkpj13

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
The hard drive in my 10 year old PowerBook (yes, that's right, an APPLE PowerBook) is making a whining noise. It starts out quiet, but after it's been on for awhile it starts to get louder and louder. Sometimes it takes longer to spin up than usual. I should also mention that I dropped it around 5 months ago :tazz:, in case that will give you a clue to what's wrong.

Advertisements

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Usually a whining sound is the start of a failing drive theirs several utilities for hard drive that will do a diagnose not sure for mac I know Drive fitness test is a good one tho but it's for a IBM compatible system boot disk. not sure if it would work
I would defenetley see about backing up the data as soon as possible and look into a hard drive fitnes test for mac it might give you an idea of whats happening with it and if it needs replacement (most likey yes)