Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connection SENDS but doesn't RECEIVE!?

• Please log in to reply

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
So, here it is in a nutshell (a big nutshell).
I went away on vacation for 10 days and decided to take my laptop with me to get some work done. I decided that vacation was more important, so I never even turned my computer on (well maybe once or twice just to dump my digital photos...)

When I got back home I set up as usual and turned on my machine ... all seemed normal EXCEPT my wireless connection started acting up. It detected the connetion and connects ... some times with a stronger or weaker signal, but it always connects. However, when I try to connect to the internet to check my email, etc ... I can't.

I noticed that the "packages sent" was ticking away on the "connection details" window, but the "packages received" was just creeping along. So I started to wonder. I deactivated the Windows Firewall, and my Norton Internet Security Firewall and tried again ... no go.

I searched the help on the machine and found the "Network Diagnostics Test" which runs a diagnostic of the Network Connections etc ... I think that what it does is run a "ping" of the Default IP Gateway (which worked OK), then a PING of the DHCPServer (which worked OK again ...) then the DNSServerSearchOrder (OK), then a "self-PING" of my IP Address ... which came back as an error ... 4 times timed out... 4 Packages sent, 0 received ... (100% lost).

All of this jargon was new to me, so I started to look for help on the internet and found something that walked me through the PING-ing manually (system window IPCONFIG command, etc) ... the ping I do of my own IP address always "times out" and I get stopped there.

Some details:

1. My building was hit by lightning 5 months ago and fried my Wireless Router ... since then (before going on vacation) I was able to connect ALWAYS to a wireless network left open by a neighbor ... this is the SAME one I'm connection to now.

2a. My subscription to Norton AntiVirus expired 14 days ago and I have yet to renew it ... (I began to suspect that maybe they were blocking me so I renew my subscription and Update my Anti-Virus and Firewall protection ... ¿paranoia?...)

2b. My subscription to my DSL internet service expired 14 days ago also (even though I haven't used it for the past 5 months, being that I would have had to buy a new Router and I didn't) and I have yet to renew it ... They wouldn't be able to program "blockage" into my computer when I first set my new connection a year ago, could they? ( more paranoia?...)

3. I downloaded and installed the latest driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection from the Intel site... I have a stronger signal now, but still can only send but not receive.

I'm stumped, but am sure that this is probably just a silly thing that one of you WIZ-KIDS can resolve in your sleep ... I hope .... if you can, please PLEASE let me know ... tired of running to the office across town each time I want to check my email, the news, or whatever ...

HELP??!!

Thanks so much (in advance!)

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I would chek the security settings first. this case study may help,

sent packets on wireless
Case Study - Sent packets only on a wireless computer and Limited or no connection. Situation: one of our users has a XP computer with wireless connection. ...
http://www.howtonetw...sentpacket1.htm

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
...hmmm... This network I'm on is not "Security-Enabled" ... it's open ...

Do you think that although I click the "de-activate" button on the Windows Firewall and the "Turn Off" button on my Norton Internet Security Firewall that perhaps there is still something set on my computer that is blocking the entry of the packets? .... I'm not that much of a computer person, so the more I search, the more I get confused ... (and the less and less this all makes sense to me) .... thanks for your quick response ...

Edited by MooreCandy, 26 August 2005 - 11:43 AM.

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I Uninstalled the wireless connection and let Windows reinstall the "New Hardware" but that didn't help either.

The "port 1394" is connected and looks ok,
The ethernet connection is not connected ... but I think that's right ...

... and still no connection ...

Any new help with this? ..... PLEASE?

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Did you say your DSL service expired weeks ago? are you trying to connect through DSL?