Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden HD problem with capacity and deletion

• Please log in to reply

slimpyman

slimpyman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello fellow geeks :-)
I havnt really been downloading much of anything, if at all lately. My computer was in tip top shape yesterday, and than when i got home from school, there was a problem... My 5.2 gig hard drive suddenly lost almost everything on it, folders and all, but a select few that I did not care to have, was there. I booted up, tried loading trillian and a few other programs that resided on the drive, and i got the broken shortcut error... meaning it was pointing to an invalid program (because all the folders were removed) It scared me. and than to my further investigation, the 5.2 gigs was now being detected as 1.8 gigs. And i went in the mmc and looked in the drive snap in, and it detects it as being 9.2 gigs. I tried a scandisk, and I also tried removing the drive from device manager. My computer in xp, as i said is detecting it as 1.8 on the drive list. I am quite a windows guru, but this has me stumped. any advice would surely be appreciated. I didnt quite go into cmos and see what it had to say, because i think its a windows problem. I dont think its a virus either. tHANK YOYU!!!!

Advertisements

slimpyman

slimpyman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
oh yea, this is just a secondary drive.... my primary drive is a 25 gig hd which windows resides, and it is intact As of now with no problems

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Why not looking in the bios and why not run a good, updated, antivirus and antispyware? These procedures should be taken almost automatically, as first steps in almost every problem that you have. This may eliminate a big unknown from the equation.

slimpyman

slimpyman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i ran anti virus, and anti spyware, and i looked in the bios, and it is detecting the drive accurately. as i said, its a windows problem, and thats all i can narrow it down to.

slimpyman

slimpyman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
man its been about 5 days and still no reply!?!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you are convinced that your problem is a windows one try a repair installation. Personally I think that at this stage it is impossible to tell where the problem is and some eliminations should be made. I suggest the following:

Reset bios to make sure nothing comes from there.

Move the disk to a secondary IDE connection (the next flat cable) and see what volume you get for this drive. Format the disk and check what you get. If formating is suceesful try to run it for few days and see what happens.

Even better, if possible, try to install it as a slave drive on another computer and see what happens.

Please report what's going on and we'll keep trying.