Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help:"Premium Search" Homepage hijack

• Please log in to reply

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
All ye good souls out there - my home page is hijcaked to "Premium Search" page. I have tried Ad-aware and SpyBot but the problem keeps resurfacing.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Murray

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Murray: Thanks - I followed the various steps but have successfully created another situation. After running Adaware, SpyBot, CWS Shredder - there were still some glithces. I may have screwed up some registry / start-up files. When I start-up, the Windows Welcome screen comes up after which it stays "blue" and looks like its hung up. Appreciate your help - where do I go from here - thanks again.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. you say you ran the three programs mentioned.. What else, if anything, did you do??

Murray

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Trojan Hunter & Kapersky Anti Virus was the last programs I ran. Thanks much,

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

After running Adaware, SpyBot, CWS Shredder - there were still some glithces. I may have screwed up some registry / start-up files.

View Post

What are the "glitches"??

Do you have your XP cd with you??

Murray

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
This is a Dell desktop with a recovery CD. I can get to the portion where I press "R" to recover and it takes me to C:\Windows prompt. Where do I go from here - appreciate your help. I also got a MSDN CD which has XP Sp1 loaded on it but its not a bootable CD.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What does your Dell manual say about running the recovery program??

Murray

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did a re-install of the XP and upgraded it to Sp2 and looks like its cleaned up pretty well. Thanks for your time and effort - bye for now.