Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network cable unplugged? What?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
In my taskbar, I have an icon with a red X over it. It says a local area connection is unplugged. Every so often a little pops up saying the above. Is this needed? I am hooked up to a cable modema and I am wondering if this is something to do with the modem. I have enclosed a picture of what I see. Is this something that can be deleted? Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you have NICs (or was one removed)?

You can just uncheck the NOTIFY box on the bottom of the dialog box labeled LOCAL AREA CONNECTION 2 PROPERTIES, or right click the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION 2 icon and either delete or disable it

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
What are Nic's??

Mark

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Network Interface Cards---the plug you plug the cable into

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I am not sure about the NICs. Should I just delete this connection #2 or or disable the notification pop-ups? What would you do? And thanks for all your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would right click, and choose DISABLE, that way you can re-enable later.

Your PC is set up (if the previous NIC still exists) as a multihomed device, which is unusual for a home user...I think you had a NIC go bad and someone inserted a new one....but left that old one in

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Thank you. I will do that and we can say, thanks to you, this issue has been resolved!