Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer wont run with modem plugged in/on

• Please log in to reply

navyguy99

navyguy99

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey all, just found this site looking for some troubleshooting help, you guys look like you really have a clue so maybe you could help me out.

I have a Compaq Presario, running Windows XP. I use comcast for my cable internet provider.

The problem Im having is my computer restarts itself during the initial start-up, while my start-up programs are loading up. It starts over like its rebooting but than goes to a page saying it could not start up and gives me the option for last known configuration, safe mode, start normally...etc.

I can start it in safe mode just fine, and last known good configuration didnt work (does the same thing).

Things Ive tried so far: Ran my antivirus, (not completely up to date but close). Used the maintenence stuff, disk clean-up and defrag, took my cpu apart and cleaned it, clicked eveything on the page where it loads all my internal parts and told me they were all working.

Now when I took it into my kitchen to clean it, the cable internet cord wouldnt reach so I started it without the modem plugged in....it started all the way. However it gave me a bunch of Errors, one saying my CPU has recovered from a serious error. I plugged in the modem to report the error i started reporting them and a screen came up saying "A device has failed........" and thats all I caught before it went back to the problem it was having in the beginning (restarted itself).

The only error I caught was runscript error '9', the rest were really elaborate codes that I had no clue what they meant.

So the only way I can run my CPU is in safe mode with the cable modem in, or with the cable modem unplugged or turned off.

Im not real good with computers so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like a faulty NIC, which may be an add on card, or may be integrated.

You failed to list the model number of the Compaq, which would help

Does the cable plug in near the mouse and keyboard inputs in a little 1 by 4 inch rectangle, or does it plug in in a slot that it seems to have all to itself?

I suspect it's integrated on the mobo, so I would start by dropping into BIOS and deeing if it can disabled.

Reboot machine and as it starts, you should see TO ENTER SETUP, PRESS ???

usually it is f1,f2, or del key

enter bios, and look for INTEGRATED DEVICES, or ONBOARD LAN, change it from ENABLED to DISABLED (usually accomplished with + or - or pgup or pgdn keys

Reboot, see if it works.

(if it was a add-on card, open the case and remove the NIC and reboot)

navyguy99

navyguy99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hp pavillion a450n is the CPU type, sorry was thinking of my old CPU for some reason.

Theres 2 spots where the modem line fits, one is marked ethernet and the other is at the very bottom of the tower all by itself. (honestly cant remember wich I pulled it out of)

Im really amazed at the fast response, Im typing this from work so ill have to try it when I get home and Ill let you know what happens.

Thanks again for the insanely fast reply.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you have an empty PCI slot on the mobo you can put a new NIC card in for about $15. XP should find it as an additional LAN device in Network Connections. Then disable the older connection & (I agree w/ gerryf- prob integrated) device.

Johanna

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the cable modem connects to the pc through the Network interface--the other is likely a modem...since you are connecting to cable, and disconnecting permits it to work, it is the NIC that is likely failing.

NICs are very lowlevel devices.....some initiate and will begin to work before Windows even loads.

Thus, it can cause you to crash even before you start doing something (the PC itself is using it quite a bit while joining the network).

It is unclear whether this PC has an integrated port or not according to the manual and setup poster I downloaded. It might, but might not, depends on your config.

Your description leads me to believe it is....if it is, there is probably a way to disable this in BIOS as explained earlier

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Yes Hp A450N are integrated NIC I used to sell them when I worked for Staples Busness depot

navyguy99

navyguy99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

sounds like a faulty NIC, which may be an add on card, or may be integrated.

You failed to list the model number of the Compaq, which would help

Does the cable plug in near the mouse and keyboard inputs in a little 1 by 4 inch rectangle, or does it plug in in a slot that it seems to have all to itself?

I suspect it's integrated on the mobo, so I would start by dropping into BIOS and deeing if it can disabled.

Reboot machine and as it starts, you should see TO ENTER SETUP, PRESS ???

usually it is f1,f2, or del key

enter bios, and look for INTEGRATED DEVICES, or ONBOARD LAN, change it from ENABLED to DISABLED (usually accomplished with + or - or pgup or pgdn keys

Reboot, see if it works.

(if it was a add-on card, open the case and remove the NIC and reboot)

View Post

Ok, just ran home for my lunch hour and did the things you said above, found the Onboard Lan option and I disabled it. It started fine with everything hooked up to it, but no internet access. Im guessing that this confirms that it is the NIC card as everyone had stated.

So my next question would be, since its integrated into the mb, will I need a whole new one?

Someone posted that there is usually a slot to add a new one, how can I tell if there is?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you will need open it up...I found a diagram of your PC in a manual...click to open

Attached Thumbnails

• nic.GIF

navyguy99

navyguy99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
You guys are incredible! Thanks so much, gonna try and get a new NIC today and Ill let you guys know how it all worked out.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't spend too much...you should be able to get one for $10 to $20

They make more expensive ones, but you don't need the added features

Advertisements

navyguy99

navyguy99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, just installed the new NIC (15$) but still having the same problem, Im on my computer at home now in safe mode, so if theres anything else I can do or information I can get please let me know.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot normally This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Then, reboot into safe mode to get in windows again as you just did

navyguy99

navyguy99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok did that but it didnt give me an option to report the error.

I also noticed after I restarted again, when it brought me back to the option page to start in safe mode, there was an option there also to disable restarts in system failures, should I click that one also?

Edited by navyguy99, 26 August 2005 - 06:11 PM.

navyguy99

navyguy99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thought I should add these in also, I rebooted without the cable line hooked up so I could copy the error messages I got. I didnt start recieving these errors untill I started having the problem above so maybe they are somehow related.

This first one popped up 4x in a row.
Error signature:
AppName: cxtpls.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: test.bmp
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00003c73

Next one was different than normal errors. It started by saying "The system has recovered from a serious error."
Error signature
BCCode: 1000007f BCP1: 0000000D BCP2: 00000000 BCP3: 00000000 BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product 768_1

Just as a test, I just plugged in the cable line and it didnt restart itself, but another error appeared "Runtime Script Error '9'" and at the same time on my toolbar my little connection Icon appeared and said something along the lines of, there is little or no connectivity......" and thats all I caught, it didnt stay up long.

Edited by navyguy99, 26 August 2005 - 08:41 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
cxtpls.exe is a well known malware program

Perhaps it is re-acting badly with a driver, so when your PC boots and connects to the internet, it is causing a crash in the driver...I have not seen this do this before.

Please follow the link to the malware forum in my signature, and follow the instructions at the top