Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet not working & getting worse

• Please log in to reply

soldada10

soldada10

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have XP home IE6 SP2 & MSN Explorer with cable broadband modem. Every time we get on the Internet the Internet runs like we have dial up - super slow. Also after browsing for a little while, we will all of a sudden keep getting the error message of page cannot be displayed for every page we try to go to, sometimes the refresh works, but rarely. The only thing we can do is keep restarting the comp every 30min. to maintain browsing ability and I have noticed that if I leave a browser open but inactive for a few minutes it tends to stop working faster. Also for certain sites it will only read an address if we put in the http:// first, like yahoo and if we don't put it in first then an error message opens up that explorer cannot open a search page. Finally when I try to link from emails all of a sudden the computer will not do it and the words “javascript ____ ___” comes up in address bar before the address, which is in parenthesis and links from other pages are all of a sudden requiring a double click.
Now we had found and cleared out a spybot worm and alcraB worm a week ago and we thought we had fixed the problem but nothing has changed, in fact is has been getting worse. Both Norton Internet security and Microsoft IE download found no malicious entity and said everything was clean. I have also downloaded the most recent IE6 SP2 security updates, tried disabling 3rd party cookies, and uninstalled things I had that I thought could be considered an add on problem. The ISP told me this is not a problem with their equipment, and the computer manufacturer says it is a software problem. I am also waiting for a report back from a hijack log on dell a dell forum, but I am not sure if that is the problem. I have now installed Netscape8 to try to work around the problem, but after about an hour it seems to be having the same problems. If there is no success from the hijack report we are thinking about starting from scratch & reinstalling everything with the manufacturers disk, but I would prefer not to do this.
If you have other ideas or suggestions please help me out.
Thank you,
Michelle

Advertisements

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Download AVG, spybot, adaware, and hijack this. Boot into safe mode (Press F8 at boot) and scan with all 4. Becareful with hijack this, you will need to post the log and have someone tell you what to delete.

Also you may want to cleanup all temp files and cookies.

You should also download a decent firewall such as zonealarm or black ice, and a decent browser, such as firefox.

Good luck!