Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP, validate & re-installing

• Please log in to reply

mrich1234

mrich1234

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have had Windows XP for a while now. About 2 months ago it asked me, at start-up to validate, which I did and everything was fine, but every morning when I turn on my computer I have to validate. Everytime. I had a "computer" friend tell me to re-install Windows XP.

When I went to the cd to reinstall I started reading in my "instruction" book it only had Quick upgrade and New Installation. It mentioned that if you do a new installation it deletes all program s or system files from previous installation. Is this right? Or am I reading it wrong?

When is it ever bad to re-install a program? I hope this makes sense.

thanks so much.

Michelle

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A new installation, (Clean Install) would remove all programmes, drivers, files etc and leave you with a PC with just the operating system on.

You would then load the drivers and software for any programmes you want / need on the PC. Provided the installation CD for a programme is in good condition and clean, it can be re-installed as often as you like.

You need to contact Microsoft and tell them about the constant validating, maybe a new number will do it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
validate or re-activate

mrich1234

mrich1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Let me get this right...so if I already have XP in my system and I re-install it, it will not remove any of my programs, drivers, fiels, etc... And it is safe to re-intall it as many times as I like?

I am sorry that I am not that computer literate...I didn't think it would wipe away anything, but I had to check first..LOL

Thanks so much,

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
first, mine was a question

Second, no, wait, stop

It depends on what you have as to whether you are wiping out your machine or "refreshing it"

With an actual WindowsXP cd, you can "repair" windows, which installs a fresh copy of Windows over itself. Many PC makers, however, include Reinstallation CDs that actually wipe out your PC and restore it to factory condition--this kills your programs and data you added since you bought it

mrich1234

mrich1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Validate.

mrich1234

mrich1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay. Sorry. Haven't done anything yet.

My cd is the one I bought at the store for a couple hundred dollars. It is the Version 2002 Windows XP home edition. The main one for installing or upgrading to XP if you have a older version without the Service Pack 2 or an older Windows(like 98 or Millennium).

I do not believe I have a re-installation CD.

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Then the best solution is to insert the cd and reboot, windows setup will begin

Follow this guide

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

mrich1234

mrich1234

• Topic Starter