Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Boot Disks

• Please log in to reply

Ravenchild

Ravenchild

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=green]

I am trying to create the boot disks for XP and I have followed the instructions to the letter but I keep getting the message that the file won't fit on the disk (yes I know I need 6 of them :tazz: ) and inserting the next disk at that message doesn't work. I have an old pc which had ME but was wiped. The disk drive won't read the CD which is why I am trying the boot disks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
use fresh, new floppies

Floppies degrade over time and may not be completely writable

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Where are you making the disc from?
are the disc you are trying to copy to new or reformatted disc so that they are blank?
try this site www.bootdisk.com

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Win98 and ME don't cope with files larger than the single disk. You'll need to use an XP machine, or better yet, a cd-read/write to make disk(s).