Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Memory?

• Please log in to reply

Chris852

Chris852

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My PC has 512MB of memory, but FreeRAM XP Pro, and PC Doctor only says that there is 384MB. Is this normal? Where did the other 120MB go?

Chris

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Actually, you are missing 128megs.. Is your video card intergrated?? If it is, chances are it is set to use 128megs of system memory!!

Murray

Chris852

Chris852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
And I would find this out how?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is your video card integrated??

Check in BIOS.. It will say in their what system memory is being allocated to the on-board video!!

Murray

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I saw a pair of 512Mb sticks the other day, one of which was completely fried, and the other one only runs as a 256Mb stick (on POST and in Windows) :tazz:

The funny thing is this stick has passed Extensive memory tests in Tuff Test (over 100 passes) and runs windows just fine all by itself or with other memory.

BTW Tuff test sees the stick as a 256 aswell

These sticks are double sided (memory chips on both sides) if that makes any difference to anyone.

Edited by WhatThe, 26 August 2005 - 04:43 PM.