Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what memory to buy

• Please log in to reply

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
ok i jst bougth a ASUS K8V-x motherboard with a via K8T800 chipset and an athlon 64 3400+ cpu
what memory does go with this is my question??.

I understand that i need PC3200 DDR400 but there are even different onec in those... on ebay i bought pc3200 memory but it just beeped and diodnt work.

and then there is cheap generic.. how do i know what to look for when i buy? thanks guys

Rico

Advertisements

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
MAke sure your Buying DDR And not ST ram and check that you dont have DDR2 as that can not be matched with DDR

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
by the way the pc(number) will not make a differnce thats just the speed it runs at. eg if you have a pc2100 and a pc3200 the pc3200 will run at the same speed as the other one witch is pc2100

Rico750

Rico750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
so then why is there high and low latency DDR400 ram ?

and why does high not work with all chipsets ?

any one ?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hi rico-
check out the crucial website, it has a tool to find the correct memory for your system. guaranteed to be compatible, so you cant go wrong.
we reccomend going with the big names in RAM- crucial, corsair, kingston, etc. these are high quality parts that will last a long time, and not cause problems. the cheap stuff will save you only a few dollars, and can cause all kinds of grief...
I would suggest you get a matched set of RAM, so you can maximize your buss speed, etc. to make the system run as fast as it is designed to!

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I recommend Geil ram, it's great memory and a good price too.