Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disable IM programs

• Please log in to reply

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hey everyone!

Hope someone has the way to do this, but I have a customer at work whose computer I'm fixing and she asked me if there was a way so that no IM programs could be run off the computer. I know there are ways to do this since I've come across viruses that automatically close any programs you try to run (specifically HJT, Norton and any spyware program). I just dont know to do this and was wondering if anyone knew how to do this. I know you would have to included all the differnet IM programs out there because if you block just AOL IM (which is the program her kids are currently using) they will just go and install another IM program like ICQ or Trillium. So it would need to close down all of these.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

THANKS!! :tazz:

Jarenien

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
She should give them limited accounts which cannot install

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
But they know how to go into safe mode and make new accounts so that realy doesn't help. Gotta love XP's awesome security LOL :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.tunexp.com/chatblocker/

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Sweet, thanks Keith. I'll definitely bring this software up to the customer. Though for now I just put a password on the Admin and normal account and setup limited account for the kids.