Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP slow, cant open system info

• Please log in to reply

andrebg

andrebg

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i recently installed thi software recomended by geekstogo called tuneup utilities 2004 and after that i've notice that my laptop has gotten very unstable. sometimes it goes pretty fast and sometimes while performing regular tasks such as opening windows explorer or trying to watch a video the computer will just freeze up. when that does happen i've noticed that when i do crtl+alt+del it shows the cpu usage is at 100%. also, for some reason i can no longer open my system info. i've defragmented my disk, run ad-ware(se full version), did disk clean up, run my norton and i also did those XP tweaks i found here. anyone has any suggestions on what i can do to make it a little faster and more stable? I have a HP pavilion 4610, AMD 1.85 GHZ, 256 RAM. i also i went ahead and set my page file space to 1GB.

thanks a lot biggrin.gif

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Andrebg

You mentioned that when you open Task Manager and it is showing that the CPU is running at 100% do you happen to know what the process is that is causing this? blink.gif

What you can try to do is run a System Restore to the last restore point to see if that makes a difference, if the restore point happens to be dated after your problems first seemed to start, select another one that is just before the problems started and try that one.

Sometimes setting your page file too large can cause issues, your cpu might be running high right now setting up the page file. Hope this helps.

andrebg

andrebg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
first of all, thanks for taking the time to answer me.whenever i looked at my task maneger i think the process causing the problem was explorer.exe. What do you recomend that i set as my page file? should i go for the option that lets the windows decide? I tried to run a system restore to the point right before i installed the tuneup utility and for some odd reason my norton was having problems, whenever i tried to run a scan it said that there was a problem and it tells me to check if the software is properly installed. What i think is that the tuneup utility messed with my registry or something like that and thats why norton is not working right (i had never had problems with it before).

anyways, thanks again for your time. if you have anymore suggestions please let me know. i really would like to know what i should set my page file to be (i have a 40gb HD with 28GB free). and how much does the size of the page file really affects performance?

thanks thumbsup.gif

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide. Also see this post.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.