Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opinions please on this new box I'm building

• Please log in to reply

GovtCheese

GovtCheese

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I've never built my computer from the ground up before, so this should be fun. I've swapped out ever single component from my old motherboard before, so now I just have to put it all together.

Anyways, I wanted some opinions on this system I've put together. Any critique, positive or negative, would be most welcomed.

Processor: AMD Sempron 3000+ Palermo 800MHz FSB 128KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor - $84
Mobo: MSI K8N NEO3-F Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - $75
RAM: GeIL Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - $100
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JD 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - $160
Power Supply: Thermaltake Silent Purepower W0014RU ATX 480W Power Supply 100 - 240V - $58
Video Card: Albatron PC6600/128 Geforce 6600 128MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - $95
Fans: COOLER MASTER SAF-S83-E1 80 x 80 x 25mm Sleeve Silent 80mm Case Fan Value Pack With 6 packs - $10
GENERIC EC-HK-3F 40mm Cooling Fan - $7

Does anyone see any potential problems with this setup or anything about it?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by GovtCheese, 26 August 2005 - 05:47 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
looks fine but i wouldnt reccomend a sempron cpu you have picked a fairly decent gfx card so you might want to think about getting a 3000+ venice core and a nforce 4 939 motherboard. What are you doing for a case you cant really continue to use the dell they arent very easy to build in alot of people have problems with them.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
It seems to me that this computer is a sort of a power house gamer, so if I were you, I would get a S939 mobo. That would be a great computer if you put in about $100 more on the cpu. Get an athlon 64 3000 or 3200. It just doesnt seem like a sempron belongs on that kind of machine.

GovtCheese

GovtCheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this...

@warriorscot - I don't have a Dell case, the one I have is just fine. I'll get a new one later, but the one I have will work for now. What's so bad about the Sempron? I've got 3 friends that have them and absolutely love them.

I don't want to go any higher on the price, I'm not looking for a top of the line rig. I just want something better than my Duron 850mhz 512mb box. :tazz: My original plan was to only spend $400 and I've worked my way up to $500.

To be totally honest with you, I'm a big Counter-Strike junkie and will be playing alot of CS:Source on this.

Also... Is that 480W power supply too much for this rig?

Edited by GovtCheese, 31 August 2005 - 06:45 PM.