Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

win98/winxp dual boot

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I am ready to partition and install win98/winxp for a dual boot. my hdd is 250 G. What size partition should I allow for each? I will be installing most programs to run w/ xp. I will use 98 for installing wordprocessing and spreadsheets in order to use a laser printer that does not have a driver for xp (already researched that - no go). I will create another partition for file storage only. What is the reason an extended partition would be created?

i understand i have to install win98 1st, that would be the C drive; winxp would be the E drive and my storage the F drive. Do i used FAT 32 on all drives or can the xp be NTFS?

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
For windows 98 you need to use fat32, for windows xp you need to use ntfs. For the storage drive it's up to you, ntfs is better but you wont be able to access any files on it from your win98 since win98 can't read ntfs files.

As for the size of the partitions, I would use 10gb for the win98 drive, 40gb for the xp drive and 200 for the storage. That's what i would do anyways, it's up you on how much you really will be storing on the win98 and winxp drives.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
thank for clarifying that for me. have any answers for the other questions.

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Extended partitions are used if you are going to have more than 4 volumes (aka partitions) on the drive.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i understand that, but why would you need more than that? another question, c drive crashes, are the other drives readable? thanx.

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
that would depend on whether or not the whole hard drive has gone bad or just the sectors in the c drive partition.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
still, why would you need more than 4 volumes on a drive??

I also have a 8G HDD that I stored files on that I am having a problem accessing (this was on my old system running win98)(i have another post out there regarding this). I put it in another winxp system, Computer managment sees the drive as disk 1, fat32, healthy (active), no volume, one partition. my computer sees the disk as local disk e:. when i click on that, the error is e:\ is not accessible. the parameter is incorrect. I need to know how to access this drive to get my files.

thanks for responding.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
At one time, you partitioned to reduce wasted space...larger drives under fat32 required larger clusters, resulting in wasted space.

Now, it is more organizational--some people like to organize their drives by using partitions and folders, rather than folders.

In your previous thread, I suggested several utilities to try and recover your files....did you try them?

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
sorry, gerry, didn't see anything from you in previous thread. could you relay again? thanks

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
thanks everyone for your responses. i have finally set up my system, win98se/xp dual boot. the hard drive i could not read is readable in BOTH os!!! HALLELUJAH. Now i have to get win 98 to read cd rom. any ideas??