Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Disk Defagmenter not installed?

• Please log in to reply

Rascally Ashley

Rascally Ashley

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I bought a new HP desktop running the new dual core processor. When I was going through system tools, things looked normal. When going to start->all programs->accessories->system tools->disk defragment, it worked! However, when I open my computer and right click on my "C" drive and click properties->tools, disk defragmenter says "not installed" and won't let me defragment from there. When at the store, the disk defragmenter was enabled and installed on their display, but this is the second of those computers where it's not there. I have removed Norton both times and was wondering if that is the problem? How do I get it back to saying it's installed? Help please!!

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
since norton installs its own defragger, yes, probably

go to line 280, download restore defrag, and run it