Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battle of the CPUS

• Please log in to reply

sabs76

sabs76

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok ive been looking at benchmarks and i have a question, in which i need to have answered. Amd 3400 Socket 939 or Intel 3.4 ghz? 800 FSB My target budget is from 200- 250 dollars after looking at some prices on www.newegg.com Please help...

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The nice thing avout AMD xpus is they are cheaper than there intel equivalent so you can afford faster for the same money. What to get depends on what you want to use your computer for, if you use high end video editing and audio encoding software alot then intel will be better. But if you are a keen gamer then always AMD.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
another thing you want to check, should you go AMD is make sure that you get a recommended mobo. Not all motherboards are alike, just because they say they accept Socket x, doesn't mean that it will work properly with the CPU you choose to purchase.

I would highly recommend checking your manual on the mobo before deciding what brand cpu to buy.

i know AMD has recommended boards for all their cpu's. although they dont' currently have anything listed for the 3400+ socket 939 since it is a fairly new chipset. and a lot of the 64 bit capable mobos are still in testing.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
?? there are lots and lots of compatible motherboards and have been around for a couple of years now. The socket 939s are established now as the AMD standard socket and will be unitl the launch of there next socket in a year or two. Athlon 64 chips and compatible motherboards have been around for a long time in hardware terms and are well catered for, the 939 boards are essentially made specifically for athlon 64 and FX processors as well as the newer x2 chips.
Any nforce 4 or ati 200 motherboard is compatible with any of the 939 cpus currently available as far as i know. They also dont make a 3400+ they make a 3200+ and a 3500+ with the venice core being the latest in the athlon 64 range.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I won't argue on that. my bad, you are absolutely correct about the 939 socket set.

however, as far as the 64 bit chipsets go, AMD is the first one to have manufactured it, so most mobos will match, However I do know that wiht intel running their own line of 64 bit chipsets, you should still look at the mobo to make sure it is a recommended board for that cpu.

I use a socket A cpu, but my mobo will not accept any socket A cpu, it is designed for AMD processors, not intel.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, the intel 64 bit cpus are really a bit iffy with what motherboards will support them, There were so many socket A cores that it is hard ro find a mobo that will support all of them. There is lots of choice and a good vareity in every price range from AMD though, and the intel cpus arent as true 64 bit cpus as the AMD cpus either.