Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

making a simple game

• Please log in to reply

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
ok ive gone through all the tutorials i can find so dont sya anything about that but i still cant make a game no matter how hard i try .

so does anybody have any tutorials even as simple as ok press left and the block moves here press this and it moves here type of thing .

ps and another thing do i need a room builder to make games like rpgs(simple 2d ones)and i heard somebody saying about a frame buffe for animations

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Check out Gamemaker at http://www.gamemaker.nl It's a very simplistic game creation program. You could practically make a nice, simple game without any code whatsoever. On the website, you can find about 7 tutorials, covering various aspects of Gamemaker, as well as a 266-page documetation that teaches you everything about Gamemaker, including how to write code for it. You can also download games that other people made with it and see their code. You can also download graphics and sounds from that website.

Some of the games that other people have made with it look like remakes of Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man (for the Super Nintendo). It's pretty cool.

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
i know about that for a long time now but it wont get me anymore then like 5 bucks at the most

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I see. Check out this website then: http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html I'm sure you'll find something to your liking there. :tazz:

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
ive been there to i want to make a game purely by using c++ no assisting programs

ggordie

ggordie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
picky picky picky

what other langauges can you program in?
if you cant... go to barnes and noble, buy a book on visual basic or javascript or something, read it and start from there. c++ is definatly not where to start. you're gonna need some background on other things if you're lookin to make some money anyway.

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
ok thanks

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
VB is a good way to start for beginners. It's easy to make SIMPLE games in VB. Just a few lines of code.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
lol, when it comes to making games with VB, they will be VERY simple. The best I could do with it was a Yahtzee game. No animation. But you can do all kinds of other stuff with VB. I'm working on a English-French translator. Now that's a challenge, but it is possible to do with VB.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 August 2005 - 05:59 PM.

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
the only way im using vb is if its free

Advertisements

akashlee

akashlee

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
i would have to think it is free to learn (google it)
(but still i would make sure if i were you to get a book from the libary, you could buy it, but they cost a lot. So get it from the libary and keep renweing it for like 2 time)

ps: you are almost as picky as me... :tazz:
and thanks for the gmail :) :) :)

Edited by akashlee, 29 August 2005 - 06:26 AM.

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
so its free wut i meant was is the compiler free

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Nope, Visual Basic is not free. If you want it you will have to pay about $100.

ggordie

ggordie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
c++ isn't free either tho.. infact it's probly more expensive, and maybe even harder to find.

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Visual Basic is easy to learn and its worth the money you pay, though some uni students (such as myself)get it for free when you buy certain text books they come bundled with VB.net

i dont really use it for games but i did make a 2 player tick tac toe (i tried modifying it to one player but all the computer did was pick a free square at random, whcih made the game kinda easy to win) and i really poorly made drug wars game.

you can make some good games in C, but theyd have to be text based (such as drug wars) and it might take you a while but i dont think youd need to know is more than a little basic C, basic math and some imaginative thinking, it wuold porbably end up being alot of if statements (which is how i made my VB version of the game)