Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox just stopped opening

• Please log in to reply

Krum

Krum

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Fire fox wont open correctly, It will start to load then an error pops up that reads:

- Java Plug-in Error'

- Java Plug-in for netscape Navigator should not be used in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Please use Java Plug-in for Microsoft Internet Explorer instead.

Fire fox does stay in the Processes though.

I've tried to re-install it...Didn't work, help please.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Try this:

Go to add/remove programs in control panel and uninstall Java. Next go here, download java and install it again.

http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp

Click the yellow button on the top right of the page that says "Get it now"

-=jonnyrotten=- biggrin.gif

Krum

Krum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I looked for "java" to remove but it wasn't on there, So I went and installed it anyway and it wont work, same problem, When I first got it, it was fine...weird.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Just hang in there, I am searching for something else to try here. I've never heard of this happening before.

-=jonnyrotten=-

Krum

Krum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I found a site with a guy that has the same problem, but his soulution didn't help. Here is a link.....God this is annoying :-P BTW I love your avatar jonny

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hey thanks cool.gif I can't seem to find out the fix for this. I don't normally refer anyone to a different forum, but you might try checking here to see what you can find. Official Firefox forum:

http://forums.mozill...wforum.php?f=38

Let us know if you do find anything, I will still be on the lookout here for a fix too. wink.gif

-=jonnyrotten=- biggrin.gif

Krum

Krum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
http://forums.mozill...ight=java error

I found this, No response yet but It was posted today, so I put it on here for others to easily find :tazz:, this is exactly what is happening to me, and for some reason I was having trouble signing up so...yea theres the link.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hmm, interesting, I am anxious to find out what is causing this....

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

xanthorea

xanthorea

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I too am feeling a bit miffed with FF,have only been using for a couple of days
but keep encountering problems at sites or even accessing some often used,including this one re:
GTG live chat
MozillaFF plugins
:tazz:

xanthorea

xanthorea

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I'm not sure if this is related but in control panel I have Java icon version1.5.0(build1.5.0-b64) and in add/remove programs i have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 (which i was prompted to download when i tried to open the live chat thread at this site)
In 'my computer' C\program files\Java there is a file jre1.5.0 but i can't find the J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 there, except in add\remove icon.
:tazz:

Advertisements

sjalex

sjalex

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hmm, interesting, I am anxious to find out what is causing this....

-=jonnyrotten=- :confused:

View Post

I think this is caused by the adblock extension, will check back if I find anymore info

suckaf00

suckaf00

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have been using firefox for quite a while and it works really well, but today I have the same problem as you. It was right after I had the great idea of going into "tools" and changing my user agent to IE instead of leaving it as mozilla. now Firefox is making everything think that its IE and thats why java is popping up that error and keeping Firefox from opening. I just havent figured out how to fix it yet..

suckaf00

suckaf00

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I just tried this https://bugzilla.moz...t.cgi?id=167225 but I wouldnt recommend it. now firefox opens, but it doesnt work at all. now I have to figure out how to fix that too. reinstalling it didnt work..

suckaf00

suckaf00

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok guys, I got it, this https://bugzilla.moz...t.cgi?id=167225 will work, as long as you DO NOT perform step 1. luckily when i deleted that folder I kept it in recycle bin. Firefox works again once I restored that folder.

beeg_98

beeg_98

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all,
I had the same problem. Just fixed it. Go to:
[drive]:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Mozilla
Rename the folder "Firefox" to something like "Firefox.old."
Start firefox again. You will have lost all of your preferences, but what good are preferences if the program doesn't work?
When you restart firefox the folder will be recreated with the default settings. I found my bookmarks in my old preferences folder and copied them into the new one. The file is called: bookmarks.html. The rest I just tossed. I've installed firefox on several operating systems on several computers and am a long time user of it. This is the first time I have seen anything like this before. I still think it's worlds better than IE. :tazz: