Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer gets slower

• Please log in to reply

dbart

dbart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a IBM thinkpad w/Intel x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 3, 192MB ram, and 61% of my resources free. I have begun to get a prblem where my computer starts slowing way down. Also the audio wil "skip" like when windows starts up.

I have run several virus scans, hijack this etc, and been on the malware discussion and was told I do not have a malware issue. I am wondering if i have some other conflict. While I think it is totally coincidental, this problem started when I installed a belkin wirless card and changed my in home network from wired to wireless. This computer also has a problem (wired or wireless) seeing the other computers on the network- even though other computers - I have two - can see recognize and access this computer. I am wondering if i have one or several conflicts causing thes problems. I run Win98SE

thanks,
dbart

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Heat can cause these symptoms, either caused by dust build up or the CPU working too hard. One thing you can do is go to Accessories>System tools and enable monitoring. You may need to go to Add/Remove programs, windows comps. to install the monitoring.

You could disable the wireless card in Device Manager and see if that helps. If it's causing 100% CPU usage it might be causing the problem.

Basically you just need to monitor things till some hint of the cause shows up.