Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help...quite a serious computer problem

• Please log in to reply

soggyrice

soggyrice

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
C:\ keeps reporting that space is low...and i get that [bleep] popup bubble all the time. sometimes i even see levels as low as 7kb Shocked it fluctuates frequently...from 7kb to 3mb to 7mb and back down. (yes...7kb...i didn't misread it. i double checked once i saw that K before the B)

i have checked program files and windows folders and they don't equal the maximum diskspace on the HD (7GB...hehe...it's circa 2000)

most recent issue([bleep] it was 2 days ago)...my brother downloaded "something" off limewire and couldn't locate it...nor does he know the filename. looked in the specified folder for downloads...and it wasn't there. what had happened was that he downloaded the file...but the hard drive didnt have enough diskspace so it didn't completely write.

im extremely sure that 7kb isn't my real C:\ space....in fact it was 2.85gb the last time it was fine. what the [bleep] is this?

Posted Image
Posted Image

i appreciate anyone's help

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
From your 2nd screenshot:
The folder _istmp1.dir seems to be taking a lot of space, check its contents and see whether its safe to delete.

Can you download SpaceMonger and post a screenshot of it, with c: open in it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
spacemonger....I love that program. Can't wait until he cranks out the next version

soggyrice

soggyrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Posted Image

GOT IT!

It turns out that there was an ultra hidden folder on my C:\ that had files that i've never even downloaded...Comand and Conquerer? CDKey for blah blah blah? literrally...there were thousands of warez fragments.

I believe I was being the host to these files...which accounts for the massive bandwith loss and disk space lost.

I thought that my connection was only 3mbps...after i fixed everything...i tested on the same site to find my connection at 6.3mbps...

I now have 2.5 GB on the drive which is a [bleep] of a lot better than 300kb

and I LOVE spacemonger...great advice...thanks =)

only problem I have now is deleting that pesky NPROTECT folder because i've already uninstalled Norton Systemworks

Edited by soggyrice, 27 August 2005 - 01:35 PM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Go to the symantec support center:
http://www.symantec....p/consumer.html.
Search for it, there should be an article on it.
Since you did give the version of Systemworks, I could'nt find it for you.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yeah, I love that when someone takes over your pc and uses it as a server....my brother in law had the entire lord of the rings trilogy that he was serving up to the world.