Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba satellite 31cdt

• Please log in to reply

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a toshiba Satellite 31 cdt that won't post.It belongs to my brother and was working fine then just would not boot (no impact /water damage).I've removed the dvd and memory.When powered up the cpu fan starts runs a few seconds then stops.The hard disc spins up but no sound of seeks being made.After about 10 seconds 1 long beep is heard which repeats at about 6 second intervals.Installing the memory produces the same rezults.I have tested the memory in another laptop and it works ok(To post anyway didn't try running any apps with it in). What does one long beep indicate on a tosh?Thanks for your help
FreeThinker

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Long beeps like the ones you described often indicate a memory problem, although I can't say for sure as I can't find any info on Toshibas post code beeps at the moment.

You said you tested the ram in another laptop but did you add this ram in addition to the memory already installed in that laptop or did you remove the pre-existing ram first & install the suspect ram on its own?

Does the screen power on at all when you turn the laptop on?

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the reply
No I just added the memory in the expantion slot as the test machine would need to be opened other wise, however it did show the correct total of 192mb (64 mb base +128mb extra) this is not conclusive i know as post only does a quick check but it ppionts to the memory being ok.
No the screen is completely blank, so is an external monitor when fitted.
I've searched also for the beep codes but toshiba doesn't seem to make the public knowledge.My best guess is also a dram refresh problem.I think I have located the bios on the mother board and it would appear to be an ATT bios (could be way off the mark here but it seems the most likely candidate so far).Could this be a power supply problem? ie no 5v etc to the ram module? any info on the pin outs would be helpfull.failing that then it looks like the mobo (again the refresh timers or drivers).
T.I.A. Keith

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The problem could be due to the power supply or battery, yes.
Try removing the battery & turn the laptop on with just the power supply connected.
Also, try powering on the laptop with only the battery connected & no power supply.

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've Tried both ways with the same result.Have youever tried one of these hardware POST monitors? Are they any good,if so which one should I try?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
A bios post code probe might be a good idea but you may have trouble finding an external one, a lot of them connect to PCI slots. I'm afraid I don't know of one off hand that I can recommend

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Looks Like the "Beep" code may be a dead duck!
I think the beep is just an audible indication that somthing is wrong and you need a post monitor to tell what it is.I found the following at http://www.postcodem....php?bios_pc=12
Code Meaning
01 Processor test 1
02 Determine POST type
03 Clear 8042 keyboard controller interface
04 Reset 8042 keyboard controller interface
05 Get 8042 keyboard controller manufacturing status
06 Initialize onboard LSI chips
07 Processor test 2
08 Initialize CMOS timer/real time clock
09 EPROM checksum
0A Initialize video interface
0B Test 8254 programmable interrupt timer channel 0
0C Test 8254 programmable interrupt timer channel 1
0D Test 8254 programmable interrupt timer channel 2
0E Test CMOS shutdown byte
0F Test extended CMOS
10 Test DMA channel 0
11 Test DMA channel 1
12 Test DMA page registers
13 Test keyboard controller interface
14 Test memory refresh toggle circuits
15 Test first 64KB of system memory which is used by system BIOS
16 Setup interrupt vector table
17 Video I/O operations
18 Video memory test for CGA and mono cards
19 Test 8259 mask bits on channel 1
1A Test 8259 mask bits on channel 2
1B Check CMOS battery level
1C Test the CMOS checksum data at 2E and 2Fh
1D Configuration of CMOS if checksum good
1E System memory size determined
1F Tests memory from the top of 64K to the top of memory
20 Check for stuck 8259 interrupt bits
21 Check for stuck NMI interrupt bits
22 Check for 8259 functionality
23 Verifies protected mode
24 System memory size is determined for extended memory
25 Tests extended memory found above using virtual 8086 paging mode and writing an FFFF/AA55/0000 pattern
26 Protected mode exceptions
27 Test cache controller(386/486) or shadow RAM
28 Set up cache controller or 8042 keyboard controller
2A Initialize keyboard and controller
2B Initialize floppy drive and controller
2C Detect and initialize serial ports
2D Detect and initialize parallel ports
2E Initialize hard drive and controller
2F Detect and initialize coprocessor
31 Detect and initialize option ROM's
3B Initialize secondary cache with Opti chipset (486 only)
CC NMI handler shutdown
EE Unexpected processor exception
FF Interrupt 19 boot loader
Not a lot of help in reality.Unless you can read port 80h you don't know the point of error :tazz: May drop them an email and check on details but it's not looking good :) .Thanks for your help.I'll keep checking to see if anyone posts any further info but it's looking like a breaker job to me, pity as the 31cdt is not that common.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The post codes are the most useful way to diagnose a problem but obviously they require the system to be able to boot up far enough to get a display on the monitor. The beep codes are used in situations where the system can't boot this far. Beep codes are generally more basic & limited in the range of errors they can report. Ami bios beep codes are about the only exception to this.

Some laptops though, use a series of flashing lights (ie the CAPS LOCK/NUMLOCK/SCROLL LOCK leds or the PWR led) in order to indicate the nature of the fault. Have you noticed anything like this on your laptop?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Beep codes usully indicate to either memory or video adapter problems. Try to get a good memory module and install in your computer for test purpose. If that doesn't help then I think your video adapter is the source of the problem.

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Nope! No flashing lights just a forlorn single beep :tazz:
I've removed the fan and the cpu gets warm,after a few seconds the fan clicks back in.Cooling the cpu with the exhaust air causes the fan to switch off.CPU must be getting power and is probably running clock cycles as it gets hot (unless it is shorted).Is it possible to monitor the cpu bus?I have a scope and a logic probe
Memory shows no sign of warming, again any way to test? If its the power suppy I can source one for £25 the mobo is near £100.Need more Info on the circuit .Anyone got a circuit diagram or schematic?I still feel that it could be something that is an easy fix if I have the info.

Advertisements

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Beep codes usully indicate to either memory or video adapter problems. Try to get a good memory module and install in your computer for test purpose. If that doesn't help then I think your video adapter is the source of the problem.

View Post

Thanks but I am 90% sure that It's not the memory.I've tried it in another sysyem and it posts ok.I've tried a 32meg known good stick in the faulty machine with the same results as before.Video memory is shared so if it is the video chip it's a mobo change

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Anyone got a circuit diagram or schematic?I still feel that it could be something that is an easy fix if I have the info.

View Post

We can't even locate Toshibas diagnostic beep codes at the moment, I think the chances of finding the motherboard schematic for that particular model of laptop are looking somewhat unlikely.

Does the laptop have any onboard memory? ie, non removable ram. If so, it could be this thats faulty. It may also be worth checking the ram slots themselves for dirt or damage.

Failing that, it does sound like its the motherboard (or one of its components - such as the video or the bios) thats the problem.

Is the system really worth spending £100 on for a new motherboard though, given that theres no guarantee it will even work?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi FreeThinker.

Your first post tell us that the power supply is working and so is the cpu. If any of these would be in a very bad shape you wouldn't even get to hear the beeps.

If you tried a known to be good memory module with the same result, then I am almost convinced that you have a video adapter problem, which, in your case, means motherboard replacement. Had I been in your position I would call a decent lab for quotation for rpair of this computer and then make a decision.

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is the system really worth spending £100 on for a new motherboard though, given that theres no guarantee it will even work?

View Post

[/quote]
My Thoughts entirely.However if its the power suppy unit it's well worth fixing.what I need to know is are all the supply lines present? If they are it's probably a junker,but If not £25 is more than reasonable for a machine with this spec.Although only a 700mhz mc it is (or was) fast with fire wire input and other nice features.The memory chip is the base memory module,I have the unit in pieces at the moment.I've tried the module in both slots and with no memory at all with no change in the result,also tried a good known 32 meg stick in both slots. (32 Meg should boot into windows so I would not suspect low memory was a cause)The beep codes from toshiba are impossible to find, either they do not exist or they are well hidden.
I suspect the former and you need a post monitor to check the post code. I am trying to source one now, just waiting for an email to confirm compatability,if this shows the power lines ok then its the great notebook recycle plant for this bit of kit. Heres hoping. :tazz:

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi FreeThinker.

Your first post tell us that the power supply is working and so is the cpu. If any of these would be in a very bad shape you wouldn't even get to hear the beeps.
If you tried a known to be good memory module with the same result, then I am almost convinced that you have a video adapter problem, which, in your case, means motherboard replacement. Had I been in your position I would call a decent lab for quotation for repair of this computer and then make a decision.

Agreed but the power supply consist of two unit the external 19v ac adapter and the internal multi voltage unit which generates the multi voltage levels needed.I may be wrong but I think that the memory needs a -5v supply and a +5v supply (ie dual rail) if the -5v is missing then the memory will not work. I do not think that the -5v rail goes to the cpu therefore it may well start the boot process (read the bios) and fail before checking the video chip.If you read the list of error codes I posted earlier you can see that
17h Video I/O operations is performed after
15h Test first 64KB of system memory which is used by system BIOS
and so the boot up would stop if the memory check failed BEFORE it tests the operation of the video card.Having seid that I do not know that this is the EXACT bios used and previous tests
0Ah Initialize video interface may well prove your case true. Its all a bit of a guessing game.Need To prove those power lines before proceeding.AS to sending it to a repair Lab ,Wheres the fun in that? :tazz: :) :) :)