Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba satellite 31cdt

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
AS to sending it to a repair Lab ,Wheres the fun in that? (quote).

Agree

Ami Yogev

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The fact that you have tested the laptop using the battery only & then the power supply only, with exactly the same results, indicates that the problem is neither of these two things.

Whether the problem is with some internal voltage rail, such as a break in one of them, is possible I guess but seems rather unlikely.

I agree with v.a it could well be the video. When you power on, the screen does not come up at all, right? This means that either the video part of the post test is failing or the post test fails before it gets this far. As we have no way of determining exactly what it is failing on at the moment, I think it would be premature to rule the video out as the possible cause.

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

it gets this far. As we have no way of determining exactly what it is failing on at the moment, I think it would be premature to rule the video out as the possible cause.

View Post

I agree with Both of you.Until I can prove the voltage lines however, theses have to be the main focus.I have ordered a post monitor and will give it a go when it arrives.It was only around £15 and will be a very usefull addition to the toolbox so it's not wasted even if the lappy proves to be a junker.Will Report back when I've tested it, fingers crossed

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Samm
Having read your reply again I think you are missing the point about the power supply.the laptop can be powered from either an ac 19 v external adaptor or the battery pack.Both in my view are ok.However the cpu ,memory, harddrive cd rom etc, need various voltages NOT 19V, these are derived from an internal voltage power pack (which is a plug in unit)This takes the external voltage ie 19v from the ac adaptor and converts it into +12, -12, +5, -5, and what ever other voltages are needed (some memory chips only need for example 3.5v)a failure of any of these would result in a post failure.I am trying to source the pin out for the memory chips
(144 sodimms) then I may have a better picture of things. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Freethinker
I didn't rule out the possibility of this being a problem with the internal power distribution of some sort, I merely ruled out the external power supply & battery as the cause.

Let us know what happens when you get the post monitor

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
HI
Just an update as to what is going on.
I found the pin outs for the memory modules and they have 3.25v on them which is fine.That makes a mobo problem almost certain.So I poked about on the moo with my trusty meter and found that the 19v line was getting pulled down to 11.6 volts.I eventually found a small piece of wire causing a bridge (could of being a staple or something like).Switch on........nothing!! not even the beep.Suspect the bridge was pulling down or triggering the battery/ input voltage and triggering the low voltage monitor and the beep was not a bios code after all.Not looking good.Post code monitor is in the post and may show somthing when I try it but I'm not hopefull.Any one know where I can get a new mobo CHEAP?

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
HI
Post Monitor arrived.Tried it and it dosen't log any codes at switch on.Either the cpu is dead or the bios is stuffed. Shame.Looks like a junker or Ebay if a donor can't be found.Thanks for you time and input .
Bye. Keith