Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

firewire/pci problems

• Please log in to reply

mojomanna

mojomanna

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi!

hoping you guys can help.

ive just bought a new firewire card for my computer (a dvd ezmaker 1394 pci to be exact) however having plugged it into a pci slot my pc wont turn on, or rather it tries to turn on but it just makes 10beeping sounds and displays no graphics (a quick 2 and then 8 consistant beeps- i dont know if thats morse code for im hurting:) ive taken the card out and my pc's still making the funny sounds and not turning on properly however i did get it back once by turing it on and off for a while.

any ideas? let me know if you need more info.

cheers,

jez.

Advertisements

Chris852

Chris852

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Is your PC AMI, Phoenix, Award, or IBM BIOS?

You can go here (http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm) to check out what the beep code means.

Chris

mojomanna

mojomanna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi chris,

ive checked out what my bios is and its AMI but the beep code is 2 short and 8 long. which is confusing me because i cant see that code on any of the bios beep sites. i may however be miss reading it and it could be just 8 short beeps with the first 2 being down to manufacturer variety (im just guessing from what they say on that website about how the codes can vary slightly between manufacturers). if this is the case then the problem would be- Display memory Read/Write test failure. which seems fitting as there arent any graphics. is it possible that this error can occur after installing a pci firewire card? and is it possible that the firewire card is broken? the video cards definately ok as it has been working fine since i took out the firewire card (with the exception of the few issues i had immediately after taking out the firewire card).

thanks for your time,

jez.

Chris852

Chris852

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Im glad I could be of some help. I hope that your problem is resolved quickly, and without you having to spend an arm and a leg. :tazz: