Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Computer is Possessed by the Devil

• Please log in to reply

Startrek91481

Startrek91481

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer always seemed to know when I'd need it most and do somehting off the wall, but this one takes the cake. With finals and portfolios, my girlfriend and myself are stuck with redoing a lot of old work, and shoving our way into the campus computer labs... anyhow...

I am currently useing Windows XP pro. the other night I shut it off and the next morning it would not turn on (it was getting power to mother board, and rom drives. I was able to get another computer with a bad Hard drive for very cheap. However, now this computer is doing the same thing (at least it occasionaly starts, does same thing, with both it's original HD and my original HD) however, for some reason windows will not load. I get to the point where I'd normally get the XP login screen, and all i get is a black screen. Something's being sent to the monitor because it does not shut off. What is this? How do I fix it?

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Have you tried starting in safe mode? If all else fails you can do a repair install. Read about it here:

http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138

-=jonnyrotten=- biggrin.gif

Startrek91481

Startrek91481

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
QUOTE(-=jonnyrotten=- @ Dec 10 2004, 02:31 AM)
Have you tried starting in safe mode?  If all else fails you can do a repair install.  Read about it here:

http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138

-=jonnyrotten=- biggrin.gif
View Post

I have. It runs through DOS directories then freezes.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
When you press F8 are you given a list of startup choices? If so then try last known good configuration that worked.

-=jonnyrotten=-