Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access network computer

• Please log in to reply

skyrider

skyrider

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a problem accessing a computer on my home network.
I have 3 computers attached to a Belkin router. Computer #1 is an XP Pro machine, computer #2 is an XP Home machine and computer #3 is an XP Pro machine. All 3 are up to date with Windows updates. All 3 are virus/malware free as far as Norton AV 2005, Spybot, AdAware SE, Counterspy and MS AntiSpyware are concerned.
Computer #1 can access #2 and #3.
Computer #2 can access #3.
Computer #3 can access #2.

#2 and #3 cannot access #1 but they can ping #1.
The message they receive is:

"\\#1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server...blah blah blah".

Since I am the Administrator of all 3 machines, my answer to me is "I don't know how to fix this". It seems that the problem lies with #1 since both machines can ping it but I can't find a way to permit them access.

I have created the user ID/password for both #2 and #3 in #1 and changed the Group Policy to allow connection with NO password. Computer #1 has Simple File Sharing enabled. What else should I check or change? Any suggestions are welcome.

Windows firewall is OFF in all 3. I use Zone Alarm 6.0.631.003 in computer #1 and 5.5.094 in #2 and #3. All computers are in the Trusted zone. If I turn off Zone Alarm in #1, it doesn't help.
skyrider

Edited by skyrider, 29 August 2005 - 06:38 AM.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Do you have norton on all three machines... if so try disabling the Norton firewall (temporarily) on the problematic PC and see if you can access it...

skyrider

skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Do you have norton on all three machines... if so try disabling the Norton firewall (temporarily) on the problematic PC and see if you can access it...

View Post

Please read the last paragraph of my post re: firewalls. I do run Norton antivirus 2005.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Turn off all your firewalls, virus scanners, spyware preventers.. all your security... just temporarily of course... to see if that is what is blocking you.

skyrider

skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have found the solution to this vexing problem in Fred Langa's newsletter (http://www.langalist.com/) - highly recommended.

Do the folowing on the computer you can't access:

Open REGEDIT.
Under HKLM|SYSTEM|CurrentControlSet|Control|Lsa, change the value of "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1 or 2. Don't change "restrictanonymoussam" value. The value should be REG_DWORD and Hexadecimal Base. (That's the default for that key) Restart your computer and access the resources on that PC, it should work properly if restrictanonymous was non-zero.

Instant fix.