Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Error - WinXP

• Please log in to reply

kedconsult

kedconsult

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. Can anyone help me resolve my windows xp startup issue? The error message I'm getting states "Explorer.exe - Application Error - The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006). Click on OK to terminate the application. It appears to be a virus, as I can hear some light clicking in the background. I've tried some of the things you've mentioned in the forums, but still can't get the issue resolved. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
If you think it's some sort of virus, I suggest you START HERE and go through the manual fixes on your own and if you are still having problems, then post a hijackthis log in the malware forum

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I wasn't aware that malware came with sound effects. Do your programs open as you expect?

From MS:
Explorer.exe - You can end this process from Task Manager. This is the user shell, which we see as the familiar taskbar, desktop, and so on. This process isn't as vital to the running of Windows as you might expect, and can be stopped (and restarted) from Task Manager, usually with no negative side effects on the system.

Johanna

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
That 'lighting clicking' sound could be the start navigation sound for internet explorer???>....