Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Virtual memory trouble

• Please log in to reply

thumper88

thumper88

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
my computer constantly has a popup in the system tray that says virtual memory too low. and it shuts down different programs on my computer and stalls a lot of stuff.. and i cannot seem to fix the problem.. i've tried deleting as many files and folders and programs as i can but nothing seems to work. it is becoming a nuissance. i did the system restore thing, and that got rid of one of my problems. but now i have this one.. help :tazz:

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I would suggest that you download CleanUp! 4.0l. It finds alot more temporary files then we would normally ourselves manually.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
How much physical memory does your computer have?

Johanna

thumper88

thumper88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
total size-57.2 GB

Free Space- 46.8

in the C: drive

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I assume that is your HDD?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I hope that you knew what you were doing when you were deleteing "files and folders" and also you do not delete programs you uninstall them, there is a diferance. The fix to you problem is to get more virtual memory (virtual memory is a file on you hard drive that acts to helps you random acesss menory when it get too full.

Here is how you get more

start < control panel < system < advanced < performance < setting < advanced < Virtual memory < change and then set the pagefile (this is the files that acts as virtual memory)to something like 2000mb and see how that goes.

if this dose not work we will try removeing things form memory, this dose not mean getting rid of any program just stoping them from runing in the back ground when your computer starts.

All so how much Ram (random acess memory) do you have?

thumper88

thumper88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yes it is..

by the way.. in the last 2 minutes without doing anything or clicking anything.. my computer jsut shut down 2 of my running programs

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
You should check for malware. Post a thread in the Malware forum.
If you're clean then buy more ram..

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
can I ask again how much ram you have?