Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a lil help with Apache 2.0.54

• Please log in to reply

derek2005

derek2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I was talking to a guy at work and he was telling me that he host his own websites using the apache server. He was said it was pretty easy so i wanted to give it a try to just learn how to do it. I downloaded the files and the .msi file to install it. When it ask for network domain and server name, what do I put in there?

I did put something in the network domain and server name and finished the installation. Now shouldn't i be able to connect to the server through my address bar by putting the server name in there? Or am i completely wrong??? :tazz:

I've very new at this so sorry of this seems like an easy question.....

Thanks for any help....

Advertisements

derek2005

derek2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I am gettin this error message:

(os 10048) Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. :make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:8080 no listening sockets available, shutting down.

Any help with this?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I can't recommend you host your own site, unless you thoroughly research and especially learn about securing your server. If you don't, there's a good chance your server will get hacked, and you'll become just another spam-bot. :tazz:

derek2005

derek2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The thing is i don't plan on hosting my own site or anything right now. I just wanna learn how to set it up. Just to know basically. I can't host my own website right now because i have to use satellite internet and Linux does not support direcway :tazz:. When I move and am able to get dsl or cable internet, i'll be able to use linux OS to host the server and the website, because Linux is a lil more secure than Windows.....

If linux supported direcway, i'd be using linux and not windows.....

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I'm sure there's a way to run it under linux (Google may help), but it might be a pain to setup.

As far as apache, running it under windows is a lot different than running it under linux. Your info says you're running linux, why not just setup apache under linux? You don't have to be connect to a network, you can just use loopback.

There's plenty of tutorials for setting up apache, it's really not all too difficult.

Trust in google.

FFXen158

FFXen158

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Also, if you plan on using PHP and MySQL, there are two great program collections out there for starters jwhich work great. LAMP5 is for Linux, and WAMP5 is wor Windows. It stands for OS Apache MySQL PHP5. However, it is recommended that you use Apache 1.x.x with PHP5.