Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Extra ram for broadband

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi all. I have been told by an ISP that 64mb of ram won't support broadband. I don't mind upgrading the ram, I just don't know if I can, or how big I should go.
If it is possible, is it hard to do it yourself.
My pc is pentium 3, 64mb ram.
I'm far from an expert when it comes to computers.

Thanks for any help, Bogged

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Well it depends are you only going to need the RAM for your Broadband connection or wih a bit extra to play games? You can try this for some good deals www.newegg.com or go to 'Hot deals' in the main forum area! It comes with a manual so you can install it by yourself!
Good luck!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I guess you run windows 98 on your computer otherwise, with XP, it would be a very slow machine. I would add at least 128 MB so that all together you will have 196 MB of ram. SDRAM which is the type of ram that you need is expensive today to buy new, considerably more expensive than DDR. On the other hand it is fairly easy to get a used one from a dismantled machine. Go to any laboratory and you will most probably find what you need. It is important to get modules with latency that is compatible with the module you already have. Regarding speed, try to find modules that has the same speed as yours or higher.

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Alot of the time is to buy a cheap pc of one of the building companies, here 100 to 200 pounds gets you an athlon 2000+ with 512mb DDR ram and a half decent onboard video chip TFT monitor, keyboard and printer. They practically give these old systems away to clear there stock and they are perfect for people who just want to surf the internet.