Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it safe to disable all startup services?

• Please log in to reply

Stryker06

Stryker06

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Somebody recommended to me that you don't need to in fact have any services starting up during boot-time and he said that I could go into msconfig and uncheck all the startup item boxes. Is this a pretty save idea? could there be any harmful consequences in doing this?
Advice appreciated,
cheers,

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you stop the firewall and anti virus it would be unhelpful

Stop the obvious ones, media players and adobe etc

r7yea

r7yea

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
The best way to deal with start-up items is to use msconfig to identify what is starting up and then research the individual items so you yourself can make an intelligent informed decision on what you want starting. HERE is good source.

Personally I never let anything start I have not approved myself. Although I find it easier to allow items that I use at all times to start automatically, rather than take the time to manually start them every time I start my computer. Agreed it slows down the start-up but manually starting them takes time too.

Robert

Stryker06

Stryker06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks, I'll let the ones that I think are important startup and disable the ones I'm absolutely sure of that I don't want to start.
And that link was useful. Thanks :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I use Mike Lin's StartUpCPL. It puts an extra tab in the Control Panel (Gee, MS, are you paying attention?) and lets you switch start ups as desired.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Johanna

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Cool, thanks for the link Czarina :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts