Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Geeks to go - Spyware

• Please log in to reply

wllm55

wllm55

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I was on this website last night. Checking to see if anyone had replied to my inquiry about HJT logs, which they had not, when all of a sudden my connection with Geekstogo was broken and I could not reconnect. The internet was still working but it didn't matter how I tried I could not get back to Geekstogo. Upon leaving the internet I updated my Adaware, SpyBot and Ewido, as I do everytime I'm on the Net ( I also use Kerio firewall, still in the 30 day trial version and AVG Free). I then ran Ewido which found three objects (Mozilla Firefox; Profile,Spyware. Cookies.Liveperson) that I got while browsing Geekstogo, I use Firefox exclusively.
Here is the question: Does Geeks to go use this cookie? Did Geeks to go dump me? Or is this someone exploiting this site? If someone could enlighten me, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks Bill :tazz:

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 512 ram
Window XP SP2

Edited by wllm55, 28 August 2005 - 05:57 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
A little paranoia on the Internet is a good thing, prompting cautious behaviors like never being online without an enabled firewall. However, an occasional dropped connection is not a reason to panic. G2G uses a cookie to automatically log you in, but it is not "spyware". (Do you think the malware folks would stand by for Admin to infect their systems? LOL) How do you connect to the Internet?

Johanna

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I am on a dial up connection. And as I am learning, I was probably bumped due to a high amount of traffic. And that cookie wasn't too much to worry about. But while I have your attention, what do people mean when they say to use a physical firewall? I know what a router is but I thought that was for Broadband and DSL. Is there something I can use on a dial up connection? Or any other suggestions? Thanks for your reply, Newt

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
There are two kinds of firewalls: software like Kerio or Norton, and hardware like a router. Routers are used to network connections. You should always have a firewall enabled while online, even on dial up, even if you only use the default XP one. Firewalls prevent unauthorized Internet activity.

Johanna

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
If you can, go for the router as it is a dumb computer in itself and a lot of malware tries to manipulate it without sucess leaving your own computer(the one that you are reading this from) unaffected. :tazz:

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for your replies, I see that I could use a router. Question: I have a dial up connection, I do not network with anyone else, I use Kerio Personal firewall and several anti spyware and an antivirus program (AVG free). With my dial up connection are you saying that I can purchase a physical router that is hardwired between my phone connection and my computer. And if you have suggestions about brands or types I would appreciate the enlightenment. Thanks Johanna and Fleamanmail. :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Not needing to network and being on a dial up connection, a router will only add more variables to your system, with no real benefit. Keep your Kerio firewall enabled and you should be adequately protected.

Johanna

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
That's a roger, thanks for the info!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You're welcome. It's refreshing to see a pro-active choice against malware! Add Geeks to Go to your favorites, and post questions as they come up. One of the great things about the forum is all the collective minds you can pick.

Johanna

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have already bookmarked it and I have spent about 10 hours in the last week reading and learning what I can. G2G is a great source of information!!! :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Just as a point of clarification, the site was unavailable last night for about two hours (6:30-8:30 CDT). The server never went down, but the network connection to it did. A router issue at the data center.

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for the info. After all my inquiries I had pretty much come to that conclusion. Thanks Again. Newt :tazz: