Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Going to Sleep

• Please log in to reply

leisadawn

leisadawn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, I am new to the forum and limited on computer skills.
Just some background: Recently loaded 2005 Norton, put in a new network card and loaded spybot. The computer was infested with Winfixer problem and auroa.
Was working to get rid of the problem. But now...when you try to turn the computer on, it comes up with an error stating load for ddls for kernel in software.
Then a box comes up saying its going to sleep. To get the computer to turn back on again I have to unplug it and plug it back in. And can not get any further than maybe looking at the system recovery page or startup page.
Any Input ?? Thank you.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Boot into safe mode (often by pressing F8 at start up) and go into the Control Panel. In the Power Options dialog, check to make sure your computer is set to "never sleep". Then do an SFC to verify your System Files. You will be prompted for your XP cd.

Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Johanna

leisadawn

leisadawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can't seem to get pass the system recovery, maybe twice out ten times of turning the computer on I might be get to system recovery screen before it goes to sleep.
And when I have gotten to system recovery and it started to the recovery process it goes to sleep before it even gets maybe 6% of the files transferred.
Help.. :tazz:
It seems as though I can go to setup (F1) and the computer will stay on. Is there anything I can do from here??

Edited by leisadawn, 28 August 2005 - 06:35 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
system make and model?

leisadawn

leisadawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Its a HP Pavilion a335w desktop